Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-Eight

Eli

I'm still getting used to calling Matt Pierce Mateo. Apparently he told Emery he changed his name because the Guard made him, but I know the truth. Matt Pierce was his fake identity, created so he could infiltrate my base and spy on me—the soon to be Chancellors son.

I never wanted to be named next in line, and was relieved when I was set free from the duty when I became a wanted fugitive. But sometimes, it still feels like I'm going to end up in the same position I once was.

I'm afraid that when we win this, the other Commanders will look to me for leadership. But I'm done being a leader. I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's life but mine and Emery's, which she has make excruciatingly difficult. Especially now that Mateo is here.

At least the vote swayed in my favor. Blue and Bug were more than thrilled to go get their inventions back. Now, the plan is to attack the factories and production bases. They'll be heavily guarded, but nothing like the Capital. Emery could probably handle this on her own with nothing but her bare two hands. But as a precaution, I've insisted she bring a small team with her, just so she has backup.

Unfortunately, there's one volunteer I'd rather not have to deal with. "I'm going with her." Mateo—not Matt—insists. But considering he was basically dead five days ago...

"No."

"I wasn't asking your permission, Jack-ass. I'm going and that's final."

I could kill him. I'd love to kill him. But I can't do that to Emery, and more importantly, I wouldn't be able to explain it to her.

He stands beside me as I watch the Energy Casters practice their new magic. Everyday they get stronger, more disciplined, and closer to being ready to fight. It's only been a few weeks, but I think with another few days and a little bit of luck, they could actually be ready to take on s the Guard.

But assessing their progress is not why I'm here.

"I don't know what happened to you in the fantasy land of yours," I turn to the sniveling spy and consider breaking his nose. I could do it so easily, just a twitch of my pinky and one of the ghosts would leap from my arm and take care of it for me. "But Emery is my girlfriend, taking the factories was my plan, and putting together a team to help her was my idea. And you are not going."

Emery is standing next to Ella, talking her through how to make new Casters. Not that Ella needs it. She's been doing it the past day, and Emery is really only there to keep her safe, to make record of all the new Casters they make, and to make sure Ella isn't straining herself. Since Ella isn't technically a Caster, we aren't sure how the levels of energy will affect her.

I glance over my shoulder at Mateo and see how he gazes at her.  I'd recognize the look in his eyes anywhere. He loves Emery. He wants to protect her. I saw it in the Caster Bowl, and even saw hints of it when he was her guard. At first I thought it was just a bond of friendship. But when Emery confessed they had slept together, I realized it was so much more than that.

I've never felt this way before, never get this kind of jealousy. But even if Mateo found some way into her heart, she's still with me. She didn't break up with me when he was brought back. She didn't stop sleeping in my bed. In fact, the tension that had been growing between us had all but vanished when Mateo was brought back. But maybe that's because I've been giving her time to adjust before mentioning the overload of magic inside of her. Or maybe Mateo got enough of it that made her stop being so... inhuman.