Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Mateo leaps in front of me, shouting out a spell to redirect the flames.

"Nicholi, it's her." Mateo gestures a hand towards me, but his eyes don't leave the broken king.

"No she isn't. This is another one of their tricks," his face twists as he throws a ball of blue fire towards me.

Mateo turns and tackles me to the ground, shielding my body with his. His chest presses against mine as he apologizes with his eyes.

The king has gone completely insane.

"Get out of here," Mateo orders. "I'll try and calm him down." He pushes off me and gets to his feet, inching towards the mad king with hands outstretched in front of him.

I'm frozen there on the ground, stuck watching my father unraveling before my very eyes.

"No—no," Nicholi yells at Mateo. "There aren't any."

"Nicholi," Mateo gets close, too close. "We need to talk."

"No more talking. No more. No more whispers." Nicholi swivels around and presses a blade against Mateo's throat. Mateo throws his arms up in surrender, freezing.

"Stop it!" My voice is a scream, pounding against these walls. "What the hell is wrong with you?" I'm storming across the room, glass and wood and paper crunching beneath my feet. "I'm really here. I called Mateo to send someone for me. I wanted to see you because I want my magic back."

His eyes falter. I can see I've broken through to him. "Emery?" He drops the knife. "You're real." He releases Mateo, causing him to fall to the ground.

"Yes, I'm real. Now give me your hands." I put my hand out, ready to say the spell. It's at the tip of my tongue.

The King collects himself, the wild look in his eyes being tamed for a moment as reality seeps in.

"I can't." He shakes his head. "It will make you like me—it will make you crazy. I can't do that to you."

Pain. It's what I feel. Not because my father is a heartless monster, but because he's being a loving parent. It's the same pain I feel when I think of my mom.

"Nicholi," I step closer, careful not to make any sudden moves. "The Chancellor murdered my mother. He almost killed my sister, and Mateo," I glance at my friend climbing to his feet. "He needs to be taken out. And I need my magic to do it."

"Maria... is dead?" His voice breaks.

I had no idea he'd even care. He told me he let go of his feelings for her a long time ago. But I can see now that was obviously a lie. "Yes." It's too late to be cautious about her now. Had I know he'd be effected, I would have broke the news more gently... if that's even possible.

His face twists in pain as his eyes water. Never in a million years did I think I would come here and make my father cry. He falls to his knees, burying himself in grief.

"Nicholi," I kneel in front of him, putting my hands on his shoulders. "I'm going to make him pay for this. But first, you need my help. All the magic is too much for you... Give some of it to me."

"I will make him pay," he snarls, jumping to his feet and directing all his attention to Mateo. "Give the orders, send word to Russia. We are attacking North America—"

"Take a look around you. You are not in the right stars of mind to be declaring war, dad."

Dad. The word startles him. But it makes him listen. He calms down, takes a look around the room and shakes his head, confused. "You don't understand... I thought I would see her, the first Caster, but all I see are the dead—the demons. They want my blood—they want yours. They haunt me—"