Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

"Theres a Royal Caster here," Eli snaps. "And he said you invited him?" Eli narrows his gaze at Mateo.

Mateo remains calm and collected, almost amused by Eli's anger. And guilt is beginning to creep in, then it's crashing.

"Which one is here?" He asks, pushing past Eli off the elevator. I quickly jump out behind him, and find myself looking at a face I never thought I'd see again.

"Edwin?"

Edwin Francis, second in line for the Russian throne. twenty-eight years old, had the blood-power to make living things decay at a rapid rate, and the closest thing to an ally I had in the Caster Bowl.

"Emery," he smiles, his Russian accent thick as ever. "It's good to see you alive," he says, giving me a nod.

"How..." I look at Mateo. "You... what did you do?"

"I invited any survivors here."

"You did what?" Eli looks like he's about to murder Mateo, and I'm suddenly reminded of the last time he saw Edwin, he was about to run a machete through his chest. I'm surprised Edwin agreed to come at all.

"You aren't the Commander anymore Jackass. I recruited Casters that survived your dick head fathers attack for Emery's army, not yours."

I think Eli's about to punch him in the face again. His fists are balled, his eyes burning with anger, but expression shifts into a blank calm. Eli turns to me, confusion replacing the anger.

"What did you do with my magic?"

My heart sink, and I can't help but feel guilty. But I have no reason to. It's not his magic. It's the magic he absorbed when he slaughtered the Casters in the Caster Bowl.

"I took it," I blurt, standing tall and confident. What I don't blurt is that I also kissed Mateo—that I also wanted him to.

"You what?"

"I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone else Eli. Thank you for coming Edwin. I'm glad that you survived." I turn on my heel and walk away, fleeing to the stairs before he or anyone else can stop me. When I hear footsteps coming after me, I throw a forcefield against the door to slam it in his face.

I don't have time for this. I don't have the energy to waste getting caught up in the drama.

I find Bug and Flash in the lobby, and begin helping the load up the supplies onto the trucks. Occasionally, I get a quick stare or hear whispers about me, but I ignore them. I've become an expert at ignoring the attention of being in the spotlight, and today's no different. In fact, unloading the cargo helps me clear my head and get my thoughts straight despite the strange and confused looks around me.

Attack the factories, take the weapons, supply the army, make more Casters, and march on the capital. This is the plan. This is his plan.

I set down the crate I'm currently carrying onto the truck, and turn to look at over the base.

Hundreds, thousands of people gathering in the field. Energy Caster's train and use their magic to prepare to march. Humans work together alongside them, packing and some of them just talking. Someone has started a fire somewhere, and a large group of people cook over it. A young girl laughs, an older man talks to a middle aged woman near the wall, and I guess that it's his daughter.

Families, friends, men and women of all ages--they've all gathered here to fight. They've all come for a better future.

This is the empire I've built, that I'm still building. A place where humans and casters alike can be safe and free. This is my dream. It's always been my dream. I just never knew what getting here would have cost.

I close my eyes and remember Eli's words. The shadows surround me, and I imagine them reaching their long arms out for me. The Shadowlands becomes unraveled in a million long ropes of smoke rising from the ground, and I spread my fingers out wide for them to wrap around. They hold on tight, and I let them take me.

Suddenly I'm soaring through the air, flying high above my body. And I'm gazing down at the base full of lights--energy magic lights, fire lights, electric lights. I reach my hand up towards the sky and let the heat build along my fingertips, feeling the power still just below the surface.

It's never been possible, because theres never been an Elemental-Shadow-Human Caster. But here I am, and now that I have all the Shadows, it's time to know what I can really do.

Lightening pours from my fingertips and climbs into the sky. It hits a single cloud, lighting it up with a blinding light. Then thunder cracks, and the light spreads through the sky, pouring through the clouds in every direction in a ripple effect.

The entire base has gone silent. That is, until they see me. They begin to cheer for me, for the future I symbolize, the future I will provide. And I'm ready to provide it, ready to fight.

"Tomorrow we march!" My voice echoes over the base like a haunting ghost, but it does not deter anyone, it only encourages them to cheer louder.