Chapter twelve~

Chapter by: me

(Y/N)'s PoV

Shortly after Heather left, I texted Veronica if we could meet up in hopes that Duke hadn't persuaded her otherwise. She agreed and suggested a bar- to which I gracefully agreed to.

Walking to the bar my mind starts to spiral. Soulmates. Soulmates are an odd topic to be thinking about. It's like I can't control it. I have no authority over my own thoughts. What if I have a soulmate? What if it's someone who's less than kind? What if they don't like me? What do I do with that?

I try to distract my unwanted questions when I got there. Upon spotting Veronica, she gives a small awkward wave and I sit down opposite her. At first we don't talk... it's just blank vacant stares as I mull over what I'm actually here for.

"Soooo. Uhh you probably heard about mine and Heathers break up...?" The sheer awkwardness of the question is enough to make me cringe.

"Heard about it?! (Y/N), that's all I've heard. How you shouted at her, how you threw things... how you cheated on her?! I expected so much more from y-"

"ME?! SHE TOLD YOU THAT I CHEATED ON HER!? VERONICA I WORSHIPPED HER. I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT HER. YOU REALLY THINK THAT I'D CHEAT ON HER?" I don't care that I interrupted her. I normally would and I'd probably apologise mid-word, however, I am livid. How dare she have the AUDACITY to lie after what she did. She breaks my heart and then plays the victim? That bitch. What's even worse is the fact that Veronica believed her. That I'd sink that low. I'm nothing special, I value what I have. She's all I had. I feel something warm and wet touch my hand. I feel my cheek and it's slightly damp. It was a single tear. My eyes started to go blurry as I blinked. I looked at Veronica and she had a face of instant regret. Her hand placed over her mouth and her eyes open wide. Brows furrowed in remorse. "Do you think I'd do that...?" I ask again finally. It was a genuine question. The look of anger her face had held when she accused me was so potent it would always be imbedded in me.

"(Y/N), I'm- I'm so sorry. It's just that... she's been my best friend for a few years now and... um... I had come to trust and believe everything she had said. She hadn't lied before so I didn't question it this time. I am sorry beyond words..." her voice was laced with sympathy and grief. I felt her hand reach across the table and squeeze mine before retracting. Her apology seemed legitimate. I forgave her instantly.

"It's okay Veronica let's just drop-"

"No it's not okay (Y/N)! You didn't deserve this- any of this! You loved her but she took it for granted! I swear to god, she is a dead girl walking because that was her LAST meal on death row!" Her voice dripping with anger. Her face held annoyance and if I'm being honest... I was quite scared. Her expression finally softened into a more grief-stricken look, pointed into my soul. "Seriously (Y/N)... She was like your soulmate or something. I only saw love when you looked at her." That word. That damned word. But Heather Duke being my soulmate? I had never thought about that. Maybe... just maybe I still love her. Well, of course I still do but it's far too damaged. I long for a love that is true and fresh. No cuts, no wounds. Just a clean slate. And maybe I can have that with Heather if she changes.

"Veronica, do you believe in Soulmates?" I curiously asked making eye contact. She thought the question over before seemingly coming to an answer.

"Well... I don't believe that people are made for another. That would be objectification. However I do believe in love at first sight. That you could just meet someone- or- or see someone from a far and just, at one glance, be able to look ingot their eyes and see their soul." A wide cheesy grin was plastered on her face, I knew that it was directly point at Mac. I smile at how cute that is. "What about you?"

"Well... I don't know... see. What if we are made for someone? Like, someone who completes you. I know the heart loves more than once but i think that one special love is going to burn the soul forever. What happens then?" I tap at the table and bounce my leg nervously.

"Then you'd better go find them."

"What if I already have but don't know it?"

"Find out,"

"What if it's Heather..?"

"If It were Heather... she wouldn't of done it. Soulmates don't just affect one person. It's got to taint two people, right? Or it wouldn't be right."

"Maybe she had a good reason."

"We'll see..."