• forty three •

Start from the beginning

"Well well well, look who decided to show up." I heard Kiyan say as soon as I walked into my house.

"Don't start with me boy." I said jokingly. "Did you eat?"

"Did you eat ma'am? Or was you too busy getting your groove on?" he laughed.

"It's crazy cause Chris and I were just talking about how mature you are, but shit I guess we were wrong." I shrugged, about to walk away.

"Mom chilllll, I'm just playing." He grabbed my arm and pulled me back towards him. "I meant to ask how your night was."

"It was cool." I replied plainly.

"Just cool?" he taunted.

"Boy, stop tryna stick your nose in my business." I groaned.

"It's just a harmless question, jeez." he said defensively.

"Mhm. I actually wanna talk to you about something. It's important."

"What's up?"

We sat down on the living room sofa, turning to face each other.

"Well first of all, how do you feel about me and Chris? I know we talk casually about it but I've never actually sat down and had a serious conversation with you regarding our relationship."

He grinned, "That's bro!"

"Your bro huh? As if he's not almost 20 years older than you." I laughed.

"I mean yeah but he's so cool that I don't even see it that way."

"Uh okay, I guess." I shrugged, not even trying to make sense of his logic. He's not saying anything negative and that's all that really matters.

"So I get that you like Chris... but is there anything that makes you feel uncomfortable about our relationship? Be honest with me."

"Y'all been together for a minute. If I had a problem with it, I would've said something by now."

I chuckled, "So is that a yes or no, lil smart ass."

"Is he treating you right?"

"Absolutely."

"You love him?"

I smiled, "Very much so."

"Well then there you have it. As long as he's making you happy, I'm not uncomfortable with it at all."

"Awww! That's sweet of you to say."

"Yeah yeah." he mumbled, trying to
hide a smile. "Why you asking me this anyway? Is something about to happen?"

"Well..."

"Are you getting married?!"

"Nooo, no sir. It's a little too early for all that."

"Then what..." He gasped, "Ooooh, you're pregnant!!! You and Auntie Kelly are doing some type of pregnancy pact huh?!"

"Boy hush!" I laughed. "I swear you are such a trip. I am not pregnant!"