Tornado in a jar

I was awakened by the awful sound of my ringing phone.

    "What?" I mumbled through clenched teeth.

   "Sir, it's Andrew. I'm calling to let you know that I think I found something you might like."

   "Great. Can I call you back, later?" I hang up the phone before he got the chance to answer and tried to wake up. I was in Kate's room, sleeping in her bed with no sign sign of Kate anywhere around. How the hell did I get here? Was the first question that crossed my mind. Standing up, I scanned the room for something to wear and found my clothes nicely folded on a chair. Picking them up and putting them on, I headed downstairs, feeling a little insecure.

    I felt the smell of pancakes and coffee and my feet took me to the kitchen, where I found Kate, wearing an amazing grey smart suit, some black pumps and flipping pancakes like a pro. I cleared my throat and she jumped, dropping the pan and turning toward me.

   "Morning! I didn't know you were there." Her swollen, red eyes and tired face took me aback. I suddenly felt the need to apologize -and deep down I had the feeling that there was more that I needed to apologize for, than this- and explain myself.

   "Sorry! I just got here." She gave me a weak smile.

   "It's ok. There's nothing to be sorry for. I just didn't hear you coming." Kate turned her back to me and I sat on a chair. There were two cups of coffee on the table and I took one and sipped from it. It was perfect... It was exactly the way I liked my coffee. I glanced at Kate, who was still working at her pancakes, and noticed her hands were shaking.

    Before knowing it, I was on my feet, heading toward her and reaching for her hand. She winced the moment I touched her, but then relaxed.

    "What happened last night? What did I do?" Kate closed her eyes, avoiding my gaze. My grip on her hand slightly tightened. "Kate, how did I get here?" When she opened her eyes, I could see her entire being fighting the anger that was quickly taking over her. It was as if I was witnessing a tornado being captured in a jar.

   "You texted me..." Was all she said, her voice a soft whisper.

   "I texted you?" I asked, frowning. She nodded. "About what?"

   "It didn't really make sense, so I thought that you might need a ride home." A ride home? That's what I had a driver for, right? Meaning she was lying... Or hiding something.

   "Why don't I remember anything?"

   "Probably because you were wasted..."

   "Why here? Why not the hotel?" Kate blushed and released her hand from my grasp.

   "Would you rather I took you to the hotel?" She whispered. My head started hurting and so did my heart. I tried to find something to say, but when I was just about to answer to her, the little voice behind me got my attention.

   "I'm ready, mommy!" I turned and saw my son holding a small backpack and watching the two of us closely. He strolled to me and wrapped his arms around my feet, just a little above my knees. "Are you feeling better, daddy?" My mouth dropped open and I looked at Kate. She slightly nodded and I found myself incapable of breathing. I just put my arms around my son's shoulders and hugged him as well as I could.

  "Come on, Luck! Say good bye to your dad and wait for me at the car. We need to get going." Kate said. He hugged me tight once more and turned to leave, but stopped just before getting out.

  "You should know I'm not mad that you had to leave for so long. I know you had no other choice and I forgive you, because you are my father and I love you. And even though mommy's sad sometimes, I know she loves you too. She told me so." He proudly smiled and I finally understood what a smart, beautiful son we had.

  "Go now, little guy! You'll have plenty of time to talk to your father when you come home, ok? I'll be right there too." Kate smiled and our son left the two of us alone.

  "You told him..." I whispered, my voice hoarse.

  "Yes. Three days ago... He took it quite well, I'd say." My hands reached out and grabbed her upper arms, pulling her closer to me and a tear rolled down her cheek. "Don't! Not yet, please! I can't..." I frowned, but let her go. Now, more than ever, I knew that something was wrong.

  "Why?" I asked.

  "When you'll remember, you'll understand. It's not that I don't want you to kiss me... I just can't... Not yet." She gave me a quick peck on one cheek and started for the door. "Those pancakes are yours and your driver will be here to pick you up in 30 minutes, so you might wanna hurry. I understand if you wanna spend the night at the hotel, but maybe you can come and spend some time with Luck tonight if you want. Just let me know, ok? I'll talk to you later." And with that, she was out.

   I took my phone and looked for the text I had sent to Kate. And there it was... I took a sharp breath after reading it. What the fuck has happened last night? I wondered, decided to find out as much as possible -because I just knew that no matter what it was that I had done, it wasn't good. And even though Kate's rage might have been like a tornado in a jar for now, the sadness on her face was worse than anything else.