Here goes nothing

I was on my feet before mom actually got the chance to knock. Wiping my eyes on my way down the stairs, I thought about what to tell her. The first thing that crossed mind was: Guess what, mom? After Nick divorced me I got married to Lucas, but right now he's not living here, because I was stupid enough to lose him already. But deep inside me, I knew that wouldn't do. Mom deserved more. She deserved everything.

   Taking a deep breath, I opened the door for my mom and my beloved cricket.

   "Mommy!" Luck yelled, running to me. "I've missed you so so so so much!" He added, kissing my cheek.

   "I've missed you too sweety!" I glanced at mom, who was standing in the doorway and tried to smile. "Listen, cricket! Why don't you go upstairs and play for a while? Mommy wants to tell you something really important later." Luck grinned and nodded frantically. He was on his way in no time.

   "How are you, dear?" Mom asked, stepping closer to me.

   "I'm fine, mom, but there's something I need to tell you. Come! We'll talk over a cup of coffee." I guided her to the kitchen and let it all out. She stood quietly, listening to me for over an hour. Once I was done, my eyes searched for hers and I noticed she was smiling.

   "Oh, sweety!.." She shook her head.

   "I know I was wrong about many things, mom, but I also know that I am right about him. I was right to marry Lucas, because I love him and that was the right thing to do. So don't start telling me I shouldn't have done it or that I should've waited. The only thing I regret is hurting him." And that was the truth.

   "I wasn't going to say any of those things, Kate. I've known you loved him for a very long time, so it doesn't really come as a surprise to me that you married him. As for hurting him... You know I've never judged you, but what were you thinking? When you married him, you became Mrs Carter. Of course that going to dinner with your ex husband -who also happens to want you back- hurt him. Plus, I really don't see why you don't want people to know about this yet -as you say."

   "You know people would talk, mom..."

   "Why do you care, Kate? He obviously doesn't!"

   "Because he already has everything he wants, mom. He doesn't deppend on anyone anymore. I do." She gave me a small smile.

   "Does he really have everything he wants? Because, in my oppinion, he wants you and you refuse to give yourself to him." Her words pierced my soul, because she was right.

   "I..."

   "Mommy, where's Nick? He was supposed to play baseball with me today." My little Luck's voice took me back into the present.

   "I'm gonna let the two of you talk." Mom said, standing up. After kissing my forehead and my Luck's cheeks, she went into the living room, leaving the two of us alone.

   "Mommy?" I took a deep breath and kneeled next to my son. His big blue eyes were just like his father's and I wondered idly where he was and what he was doing right now. Well, here goes nothing...

   "Cricket, do you remember that I've told you that your father had to go and that Nick would take care of us until he came back?" He nodded, looking only into my eyes. "Well, sweety, your father's back and Nick had to go." Luck smiled.

   "That means that I'll finally have a father?"

   "You've always had a father, sweety."

   "Yes, but now he'll stay here with us, right?" I hoped so...

  "Sure."

   "When will I see him?"

   "Soon, cricket. Very soon..."

  "Will I like him?" I knew for sure he will.

   "You already do. Sweety, your father is the man you spoke to at mommy's office."

  "The man hitting Nick?" He frowned. I cringed inwardly.

  "Yes, the man hitting Nick."

  "Why did daddy hit Nick?" He asked, his frown deepening.

  "Because Nick didn't want to give us back to daddy."

  "And now he does?"

  "Yes. He understood how much your daddy loves us." My Luck smiled a little.

  "Do you love daddy? Even though he had to go for so long?"

   "Yes, I love him very much.' I whispered.   

  "Then why isn't he here, now?" Because I'm so, very stupid...

  "Because he had some work to do, but he'll be here in a day or two."

   "Good. Do you think he'll play with me?"

  "I'm sure he will, sweety. He loves you so much!"

  I saw mom standing in the doorway, a proud smile playing at her lips and I knew I had done the right thing. I was going to get Lucas back, no matter what. It was my turn to fight for him. It was my turn to fight for us.