Family business

Lucas was driving quietly, but I could see there was something eating at him. I knew him all to well.

     "What are thinking about?" He snapped his head in my direction and gave me an absent look.

     "Sorry, what?"

     "What's on your mind?" I warily asked.

     "I was thinking about Luck. What are we gonna tell him?" It came as a surprise to me that he even answered, not to mention the fact that he was tinking about our son. A smile took over my face and I grabbed his hand. My beautiful, loving, broken husband...

     "I can talk to him, but I'm gonna need some time. He's a smart little guy, but he's still just a kid." This time, Lucas didn't bother looking at me, but he nodded his head, his eyes fixed on the road.

                                                                                                       ~~~

     Two hours later, we were climbing out of my brand new Lexus. Lucas went to get our bags and I went to open the door, but to my surprise, it was already open. Carefully stepping in, I held my breath until my gaze met Nick sitting on the couch. Oh, thank God! The air left my lungs in a deep sigh and that's when Nick stood up and came toward me.

     "Where have you been? I've been worried sick!" He was glaring at me and I frowned.

     "Why? We're not married anymore, remember?" My voice was ice cold and Nick took a step back.

     "That doesn't mean I don't care about you anymore." He whispered, sounding defeated. I sincerely doubted that, since he had left me for another woman. One who loved him...

     "What is it that you want?" All of a sudden, I was feeling way too tired to deal with any emotional drama. All I wanted was to get to the point of his visit. Nick furrowed his brows.

     "You don't know?" When I didn't say anything, he snorted and ran a hand trough his hair. "Of course you don't. Your cell was off. Well, while you were gone, my father decided to throw a damn dinner for our new associates. He wants us there." Yeah, right... Lucas was going to freak. In fact, where was he, anyway?

     "Us? He knows we're divorced, right?" Nick turned his head, staring at the door. So that's where Lucas was...

     "Excuse us, Carter! We have some family business to discuss." Then, turning his head back to me: "You were with him?" His disgust was obvious, but I didn't really give a crap. He was the one who had left me, not the other way around, and I'll be damned if I was going to let him make me feel guilty for marrying the man I loved.

     "Yes, she was with me. Now, if you don't mind, I'll stay. You said it's family business, after all, and you're not even part of the family anymore." I thought about what I could say and found nothing. Lucas was right. Harsh, but right...

     "And you are?" Nick asked, in a mocking way. I saw the anger in Lucas's eyes and hurried to take control of the discussion.

     "He's more family to me than you, right now. When is that dinner taking place?" Lucas frowned and glanced at me.

     "You can't possibly think about going as his wife!" And he actually made it sound more like an order, than a question.

     "Why wouldn't she? Three days ago, we were still married." The smirk on Nick's face was gonna get him in so much trouble...

    "Would you two cut it off?" I heard myself yelling. "It's only a night. You know I'm yours." Lucas didn't seem to take my words too seriously, probably still hoping this was all just a joke. Well, too bad! I didn't have time for this right now. "When, Nick?" I asked, careful to emphasize each word.

    "Tomorrow evening, at seven." His voice was sullen and a bit sour, but I couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for him. Again, he was the one who had left me. If there was a bag guy in this story, it wasn't me. Not really...

    "Fine. Come pick me up at half past six." Lucas was looking at me like I had grown another head. "Good night, Nick!" Thank God! He took the hint and left. But unfortunatelly to me, I was left aone with a very angry Lucas Carter.

    "Are you out of your mind?" He growled.

   "No, actually I am very sane." He scowled at me and I wanted to run away and hide. "What did you want me to do? As far as people are concerned we're still married. You heard him. He didn't get to tell his father yet, but he -most likely- will, tomorrow. Just give me a couple of weeks."

   "What?! A couple of what? No, Kate! No! It's impossible!"

   "Lucas..."

   "NO! And you're not going anywhere as his wife." I sighed, feeling exasperated.

   "It's not your choice, Lucas!"

   "The hell it's not! I'm your husband. These are the decisions we should make toghether. And I'm saying no."

   "Lucas, you must understand! You don't see me asking you to fire your PA, and unlike me and Nick, you've actually slept with her." The words had left my mouth before I could stop them and now they were hanging heavy in the air.

    "Well, Kate... That was a low blow... Especially since you've never asked me to fire her before. And you know what? I would have fired her, if you'd asked me to." He turned his back to me and headed towards the door.

    "Where are you going?" I asked, my voice anxious.

    "I'm going to the hotel. I'll be here tomorrow morning, to take you to work."

   "See? I told you, sooner or later, I'd make you run. Appearently it's sooner..."

   He turned and strolled to me.

   "I'm not trying to run, Kate! I'm trying to make you realise what you're about to do."

   "And what am I about to do? It's not that big of a deal."

   "Really? Then why didn't you tell him we got married?"

   "I..."

   "And that's exactly my point. Do you want him back, Kate?"

   "No! I only want you." My voice was chocked. How could he believe that?

    He snaked one of his arms around my waist and took the other to my cheek.

    "Then don't go as his wife!" He pleaded.

    "He helped me when I needed his help, Lucas."

    "I'm not saying not to go. Just don't go as his wife!" I nodded and kissed him softly.

    "Fine. I'm not going as his wife." His arm tightened around my waist, pulling me closer.

    "Thank you!" He whispered.

    "Are you still going back to the hotel?" I whispered as well.

    Lucas shook his head and I was finally capable of breathing.

     "Thank you!"

     He took me into his arms and carried me up the stairs and into the guests room -because that was the room we were gonna use, until getting a new house. He laid me in bed and came over me, kissing me gently and passionatelly at the same time.

    "I love you!" And his words were all I needed to take my mind off of anything else but us.