Semantics

Well, I'll be damned if I've ever seen this coming! Kate looked somehow different, somehow more mature, but there was no doubt it was her. And I couldn't tear my eyes from her. She was so beautiful. Almost more beautiful than she was four years ago -her dark hair hanging in perfect waves on her back, her eyes avoiding me and her red lips just as entincing as ever. The jumpsuit she was wearing was clinging to her body, making it impossible for me not to see her newly defined curves.

    But as much as I enjoyed -and trust me, I was enjoying myself- to be in the same room as her, one thing kept coming back, nagging at me. Her PA was calling her Mrs R and that was a thing I couldn't stand.

   "So, as you can see, we are a very stable, very respected firm that would love making business with you." The PA was saying -I think her name was Molly, or something. "We have nothing to hide, so whatever papers you want to see, I'd be more than happy to show to you. Mrs R?" Kate gave her a confused look. "Maybe you should tell them about the Mercury project some more."

    "Right... Well, I don't think I can tell you more about the Mercury project, than you've already found out yourselves from the papers my assistant sent to you. Anyway, I can assure you that there are certain risks as well. Risks you might not want to take." Yeah, right... I knew what she was trying to do. I could see right through her.

    "And what would those risks be?" I asked and she finally looked at me.

    "Well, first of all, there are no guarantees that it's gonna work. We don't know how people will react to this. Second, there are lots of money involved that you might not be able to get back right away. And third, there would be no way out of it, once you're in." She looked at me, slightly raising her eyebrows. I noticed her PA looking at Kate as if she had lost her mind.

    "Well, Mrs R, you should know that I've never wanted out of it. I'm quick at making decisions, but once I make them I stick to them." My voice sounded poinsonous. "Andrew, go check the papers I need to sign." He nodded his head at me and stood up.

    "Please follow me!" Molly said, sounding relieved.

     "Gina, I need a coffee. Go get me one from across the street!" Gina gave me a nasty look.

   "I think they have coffee here, sir."

    "I said go get me a coffee from across the street, Gina!" She wouldn't move and that was it. I was officially pissed. "Gina, do you like your job?" She winced and stood up. "That's what I thought."

    I was finally alone with Kate and millions of questions started forming in my head.

   "Please, don't sign the papers!" She whispered from across the table. I tried looking her in the eyes, but she kept her head down.

   "Why not? You need me to."

   "Please!" She sounded desperate. I couldn't believe it! She was desperate to get rid of me.

   "No! I'm in." She sighed, so I knew that she was trying to deal with her fate. "Why Mrs R?" I asked, even though I knew the answer already. I had seen her rings.

   "I'm married." Ouch! It was even worse hearing her say it.

    "Yeah, I pretty much figured that out. To whom?" I swallowed, alredy guessing the answer to this one as well.

   "Nick." She said.

   "That son of a..." But she didn't give me the chance to finish.

   "Don't! You have no idea what he did for me."

   "I would've done it all and more if you stayed." A soft moan came out of her mouth.

   "I couldn't stay. How's Jen?"

    "Fine. She lives with her daughter -Rosie- in Paris."

    Kate nodded and she seemed to understand what I was trying to say to her.

    "Do you love him?" I asked, already wishing I didn't. I had no idea if I could stand the truth.

   "Yes." She hesitantly answered and here it was. A rippling heartache.

   "The way you loved me?" Stop doing this to yourself, you idiot! I told myself, but I couldn't help it.

   "No." She whispered and my heart skipped a beat.

    There is still hope. Ask her! A part of me was saying. Don't ask her! She left you and now she's married. Move on! The other part was saying. But how was I supposed to move on? She was the one. I knew that. I could feel it in my bones.

    "Do you still love me?" A pained expression appeared on her face.

    "Have I ever stopped?" She whispered again. I wanted to go to her and kiss her, but I was afraid she would get scared.

   "Say it!" I wanted her to tell me she loved me. I was desperate for that.

   "You can't ask me that. I'm married."

   "You shouldn't be. Not to him."

   "But I am."

   "Have dinner with me!" Where the fuck did this come from?

   "No. I can't."

   "Have dinner with me! Please!" I knew she would say no again, so I had to use my plan B. "Have dinner with me for your husband." She gave me a confused look so I tried to explain myself. "I am a very influencial man, Kate! I can ruin his career, or I can help him. It's all up to you.' She gave me an incredulous look.

    'You wouldn't!" She said.

   "Don't underestimate me, Kate! You have no idea what I'd do to have you for even a night." Another poisonous look. "Oh, come on! It's just semantics. I meant having you in the innocent way." Her lips parted like she wanted to say something.

   "Your coffee, Mr Carter." Gina came behind me and handed me a cup. "Black coffee, just the way you like it." She whispered a little too close to my ear. Kate seemed taken aback and so was I.

   "The papers are ok, Mr Carter."Andrew said and Gina had to move away, so I was both grateful to him and pissed at all of them. "Here you go." He put a bunch of papers in front of me and handed me a pen.

   I hesitated, thinking about Kate's request. And yet I signed.

   Standing up, I started to leave.

   "I'll see you tomorrow morning, Mrs R. Think about what I said. I'm expecting to get an answer by then."

   That was all. She didn't answer and I didn't say anything else.