Prologue - Present

"Mrs R., there's a call for you on line one."

   "Thank you, Molly!" I picked up the phone. "Hello?"

    "Hey, honey! I'm on my way back as we speak." A slow smile started spreading on my face.

    "How was it this time?"

    "I think he's getting used to it. He didn't cry at all." I knew he wouldn't.

    "How are mom and dad?" I asked, sighing. I already knew what his answer would be.

    "They were happy to see the little guy, but they also seemed a bit disappointed not to see you. They miss you, Kate!"

    "You know I can't..." I couldn't even finish my sentence. Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes.

    "I know, Kate, but that makes no difference. I was just saying that they miss you." I didn't know what to say, so I kept quiet. "Anyway, Lee loved the BBQ party last night. He said we made a great couple and also the best of hosts." Good. That meant that we were really good at pretending. "He said his wife couldn't wait for the next party at our place."

    "I'm really glad they enjoyed it." I heard Nick's smile.

    "Yeah, me too. Lee is a great guy." Lee was indeed a great guy and his wife -Clara- was a great woman. "So what are you doing now?"

    "Looking over the Mercury project..."

    "Still not enough funds?"

     "Nope. And I really can't do anything else. I've done everything humanly possible." The Mercury project was my first serious task. I had to make it work. It might have been my chance to become a business associate. Not that being an executive manager was not enough, because it was, but I just knew I could do better.

     "You can always get project associates from another firm, Kate. It might be your only chance to make it." I didn't like what he was implying, so I didn't bother answering to him. "Kate, I know you don't like it, but think about it, ok?"

     I sighed and made myself more comfortable.

     ''I don't know... We'll see." I said, admiting the possibility.

     "That's my girl!" Nick's words brought a smile on my face, just like they always did. "So... Should I come pick you up for lunch?"

     Yeah, right... Like that was possible.

     "Are you trying to get me into a depression?" Nick was obviously taken aback and he didn't answer. "Nick, you know how much I want to be able to get out of this office, but you also know that's impossible. Just don't remind me that I'm stuck here!" My voice was whiny.

      "Sorry, princess, I forgot." He laughed. "I guess I'll see you tonight for dinner then." I laughed this time.

      "A dinner?! Out?! With you?! But what about Mr. money? Will he let you go so early?" Mr money was Nick's father. Ok... Actually Mr Rowland was Nick's father, but we called him Mr money.

      "I won't ask him. See? Problem solved. I'll pick you up at seven." I smiled and hang up.

      That's when I understood how much I actually needed him. I took a peek at the two wedding rings on my finger and sighed again. This was my life now.