What doesn't kill you...

Lucas's Pov

  This was the second night I was spending at a bar and yet, all I could think of was my wife. I signaled the bartender for another glass of bourbon, because obviously I needed more. A tall, young redhead kept giving me provocative looks from one of the tables and I was just about to give in and go to her when my phone started ringing. I answered without checking the caller's ID and took the phone to my ear.

    "Hello?" All that came through the phone was silence, so I decided to give it another try. "Hello!?"

    "Mr Carter?" A woman's voice asked.

    "Yes?" I frowned.

    "It's Gina, sir. I was wondering if you'd like to join me for a coffee at my place. I'm bored of the music here." A warm hand landed on my back and I winced. "Good evening, Mr Carter!" Gina said, hanging up the phone and sitting on the chair next to me. "So what do you think?" The look she gave me was hot as hell and I found myself standing up. "Is this a yes?" She smirked.

   "I'm quite sure I've had too much to drink since I'm about to do this, but why not?" 

   "Then it's good I'm getting you out of here." She bit her bottom lip and that reminded me of Kate. I felt betrayed once again and found myself texting her. "Ready to go, sir?" I smiled and nodded. Gina took my hand and led me outside, to her car. We both climbed in and before I knew it, she was kissing me hard, her fingers making their way into my pants. I pushed her off, holding both her hands in one of mine.

   "Get us to the hotel first!" She nodded and started the car. Oh, you're so gonna regret this in the morning! The little voice inside my head warned me, but I just silenced it and focused on more important things -like teasing Gina.

     Kate's POV

     "I will break down the gates of Heaven/ A thousand angels stand waiting for me/ Take my heart and I'll lay down my weapons/ Break my shackels to set me free... I'll run, I'll run, I'll run, run to you. I'll run..."  The buzzing noise coming from my phone interrupted me and I quickly checked on Luck. He was fast asleep so I allowed myself to take my cell and go downstairs.

     I finally checked my phone and my heart started hammering in my chest. A text from Lucas...

    Time for you to see how it feels... How bad it can hurt...

     I bit my tongue to stop myself from screaming. I couldn't let him break us... Taking my phone, my jacket and my keys I started for the car, but not before calling Molly and asking her to take care of Luck. Once I made sure she was on her way to my house, I started the car and headed to Hotel 1000. I knew that my Luck was only going to be alone for five minutes tops -and the text Molly sent me two minutes later proved me right. She had arrived and I could finally breathe normally -sort of.

    I stepped into the hotel's lobby and strolled to the reception desk. The woman there gave me a hard look -because she must have recognized me- and I took a 100 dollars bill out of my purse.

   "Ok, here's the thing. I'm not here to rent a room, and I think we both know that, but I'm ready to pay for your services anyway. So, my question is: Has Mr Carter brought somebody here tonight?" She smiled and took my money.

   "It seemed like he was brought here by somebody, not the other way around, but yes. A blonde woman -I think she's working for him- took Mr Carter to her room a couple of minutes ago." I frowned, waiting for her to continue and she smirked. Taking another bill out of my purse, I signaled for her to go on. "Third floor, the second room on the left." She smiled againd and I started to leave, but then I realised what she must have thought and I went back to her.

   "Here!" I said, dropping another bill on the desk. "Forget we've ever talked about this."

  "Of course, madam. It's been a pleasure to make business with you. Let me know if I can ever help again." I clenched my teeth and started for the elevator, but ended up taking the stairs. I needed something that would keep my mind busy, and counting the steps was just as good an activity as any other.

   It was easy to find Gina's room, and before I knew it, I was opening the door and stepping inside. I froze the moment my eyes met Lucas's naked back on top of Gina. The air left my lungs in a haste and my hands turned into fists. Lucas stopped and turned toward me, a shocked expression taking over his face. Gina lifted her head as well and turned crimson the moment her eyes met mine.

   "Kate!" Lucas said, coming toward me. Involuntarilly, I took a step back.

   "Get dressed! I'll take you home." My voice was both weak and surprisingly strong. Lucas gave me a puzzled look, but ended up doing as he was told. The smell of bourbon coming fom him made my stomach twist, but I managed to keep a straight face.

    Gina was just standing there, watching Lucas getting dressed and I found myself snarling at her.

   "And you... You call yourself a personal assistant?" My voice was venomous, any trace of weakness gone. "Since when do PAs sleep with their bosses? You are not a personal assistant and I'll make sure you'll never be one again after this. But don't worry! There's a name for what you do as well. It's prostiution. And I bet you're perfect for it." She gave me an incredulous look and stood up, getting ready to say something, but I didn't give her the chance to actually do it. "Your services are no longer needed here. You have until tomorrow to pack your bags and leave. Here!" I said, after taking out a check book and writing her a 2000 dollars check. "Consider this your last payment. I doubt you were paid more than this. And it should also cover the travel expensses for when you leave. Have a nice life, miss!" I went to the door and Lucas followed me out.

   Passing through the lobby, I smiled at the woman at the reception desk and she winked at me. Lucas gave me a searching look, but I was still disgusted of what he was about to do and avoided his gaze.

   "You weren't supposed to see me like that..." He said once we got into my Lexus.

   "You texted me about your intentions, Lucas. I couldn't just sit back and let you do it, so you should've thought I'd see you like that." He didn't answer and I glanced at him. Lucas was fast asleep, his lips forming a small smile.

   I finally allowed my tears to fall, but found myself incapable of stopping them. Oh, God!  Since I had survived this, meaning the whole situation didn't kill me -a miracle, from my point of view-, I couldn't wait to become stronger.