Help me, God!

"Did you hear me? Lucas, I love you!"

   "Oh, I heard you loud and clear. I just don't know what you're expecting me to say." And that was the truth. I had already told her I loved her and she already knew what I wanted from her. What else was there for me to say?

   "I don't expect you to say anything. Forget it!" She turned on her heels and started to leave and just then I realised how everything I had just said sounded like. I stood up, spilling some bourbon on my shoes and went after her.

    "Kate, stop!" She didn't. "God dammit, Kate! I said stop!" I grabbed her shoulder and stopped her to a halt. "What the hell's wrong with you?" She gave me a hateful look and I clenched my teeth. She could hate me all she wanted. I loved her enough for both of us.

    "What's wrong with me? I told you I love you and you had no reaction to it. So what the hell is wrong with you?" I pulled her into me, until her back was flat against my chest. "Let go of me! I mean it, Lucas!" I dropped my head and kissed her neck right bellow her ear. Kate shuddered and her resistance faded.

     "What was I supposed to do, Kate? What did you want me to say?" She shook her head and tried to push me off again. "Kate, let me finish!" I hissed and once again, her resistance faded. "Did you want me to say that I love you too? You already know that. Or maybe you wanted me to express myself in a different way..." I ground my hips into her and a soft moan escaped her lips. "What do you want me to do, Kate? Just tell me, and I'll do it. I just don't understand what you want from me." Kate sighed and I turned her around.

    "I want nothing and everything from you, at the same time."

    "Then marry me! You know there is no other way. You can and should get a divorce. I'll get you the best lawyer. You'll only need to sign some fucking papers. Kate, I can't keep thinking that you belong to someone else. I need you to be mine. I want you to be mine in every single, possible way. And for that I need a commitement from you. You said you want everything from me... I'm only asking for the same thing in return. So again, Kate, marry me!" She had tears in her eyes and I felt like a bastard, because I knew it was my fault they were there and ready to spill.

    "Ok." Her voice was barely above a whisper. My head started spinning and I got goose bumps all over my body.

    "Kate?" I needed to make sure this wasn't a dream. That I wasn't halucinating... It seemed to be to good to be true.

    "Yes, I'll marry you!" Her eyes were wide and honest. "I want to be yours in every single way. I want everything. I want you!" I picked her up in my arms and kissed her -pouring all my passion and happiness into her. And she was right there, with me, kissing me back and hugging me tight.

   "I love you, Kate! I love you so much!"

   "Here's my reaction..." She said, smiling.

   "Tomorrow I'll talk to the best lawyer in Seattle. I want this done with as fast as possible." Kate flushed and looked away.

    "About that... You don't have to talk to anyone. I... I'm no longer married to Nick." My mouth dropped open.

    "What? Since when?"

   "Since today..."

   "And when were you going to tell me?"

   "I wasn't going to tell you." What? She wasn't going to tell me? Why the fuck not?  

   "You weren't?"

    "No, because I knew that would've made me vulnerable. And loving you makes me vulnerable enough." Help me, God! This woman was going to be the end of me. And there was nothing I wanted more than that...

   "Ok... Where's your car?"

   "In the parking lot. Why?"

   "Because there are dozens of reporters waiting by my car. I stopped paying them, they started hunting me down..." I pulled her into the parking lot and she took us to her car, fast enough for nobody to see us. "Give me the keys!"

   "It's my car. I'm driving." I left out a laugh.

   "Yeah, you wish. The keys, Kate! Now!" She handed me her keys and we both climbed into the car.

   Five minutes later, we were leaving the city behind.

   "Where are we going?" Kate asked and I grinned. Oh, she was gonna freak...

   "Vegas, baby. I'm not spending another day without you being my wife."

   "What?" And here we go... "What am I gonna tell Luck?" And here was the question I feard the most.

   "You can tell him that his father had to go, but that I'll take care of both of you." I answered, somehow managing not to choke with my own words.

   "What? He knows Nick's not his father, Lucas. I'm not a complete idiot." My heart skipped a beat.

   "Then it's gonna be even easier to us. We'll tell him the truth in time." My grin grew bigger. "You have no idea how happy you made me tonight, Kate."

   "If you're at least half as happy as I am, that's good." I looked at her and grabbed her hand, squeezing gently. This was pure happiness and it was all mine.