Last minute details

"Mrs R? Mr Carter for you on line one."

      I gasped and picked up the phone. Eight days without a word and now, all of a sudden, he was calling?

     "Ok, Molly, put him on." My hands were sweaty and cold. "Hello?"

     "The helicopter is on stand-by until 4 pm. I'll come pick you and your husband up and we'll be on our way to New York before half past five. Any questions?"

     "Just one. What the hell are you talking about?" I was truly confused.

     "Oh, come on, Kate! The trip to New York I asked you about the last time we saw eachother..." Yeah... Like I would remember what happened after that kiss. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, right?" When I didn't answer he left out an exasperated sigh. "God dammit, Kate! We are supposed to leave today and be there by midnight. I've made all the arangements and you're acting like I'm talking nonsense." Shit!

     "Ok... When are you coming to get us?"

     "Well, since it's three o'clock, I think I'll be there in 45 minutes. Be ready!" His tone made it obvious that I shouldn't argue, but I could still bargain.

     "I need Molly to come too." Another sigh.

     "The helicopter only has four available seats. You can't take your PA." He was trying to seem relaxed, but I knew him well enough to say he was anything but that.

      "If there are four available seats, and since there are just three of us, why can't I take Molly?" I wasn't going to let this go.

     "Because there are four of us, not three." Four? "Look, if you must bring your PA, then just get her a plane ticket for tomorrow." That was an option, but still...

     "I might need her when we get there."

     "Kate! She can't come with us. Get her a plane ticket for tomorrow or take her instead of Nick. It would be fine by me. But you need to make a choice. Your PA or your husband." I kept quiet, because I didn't want to push it. "Kate! Your PA or your husband... Who shall it be?"

     "I'll book a ticket to New York for Molly."

     "I thought so... She can come with Andrew. His flight leaves tomorrow morning and I can tell him to get a second ticket. That, if it's good enough for you, of course." I nodded, like he could see me. "Good then, I'll be there in 35 minutes." 35 minutes? What the hell?

    "Molly, call Nick and tell him to pack some bags and come here. Tell him we're going to New York for a couple of days, so he should probably pack more just in case."I said while getting out of my office and heading for the exit. "Oh!" I said, turning around, to look at her. "Also tell him I'm gonna call mom to come and take Luck and that he should also be able to find a bag with everything I need into the walk-in closet." Molly nodded and started dialing his number. I walked outside and sent mom a message with all the information she needed. She texted me right back.

    I'll pick him up from school and take him home with me. Be careful!

   I breathed a sigh of relief and smiled. One problem solved, dozens to go. Walking back inside, I noticed Molly's weird expression.

   "Is there something wrong?" I asked.

   "No, of course not! Mr Rowland said he's gonna tell his father he leaves and he'll be here in ten. Everything's set. Good luck there, Mrs R!" Oh, so that was it!

   "Molly, you do know you're coming too, right? I need you there!" Her lips formed a smile. "There is a catch, though. You need to come tomorrow with Andrew. Do you mind?" She flushed and started examinating the floor.

   'No, of course not." She didn't seem too convinced, but I didn't have time for this right now. I would have to take her for her word for now, even though I knew something was wrong (not necessarily in a bad way).

   Ten minutes later, Nick was walking into my office, just like he said he would, carrying two large bags.

   "Hey! I'm here!" I smiled at him and stood up.

   "Yeah, I can see you're here. We should leave in five minutes or so. Mr Carter's coming to pick us up." He grimaced.

   "Mr Carter... Right..." I somehow felt guilty for something.

   "Mrs R?" Molly pocked her head in. "He's downstairs waiting for you."

    "Right. Thanks, Molly! Come on! Let's go!" Nick started walking ahead of me. "I'll see you tomorrow morning. Call me if you need anything." She gave me a weak smile and a nod and off I was.

   Lucas and Nick were both waiting for me outside the car. Lucas gave me a curt nod and climbed into the driver's seat. Nick took my hand and helped me climb in the back, right next to him. Gina -Lucas's PA- nodded her head at me, beaming from the right seat in the front and I was about to have a stroke. So this was why I couldn't take my PA? For Lucas to take his whore? I felt all my blood run cold and Nick's grip tightened. Oh, God! I had to stop doing this. So what if he was bringing his whore? He could do whatever he wanted. I had Nick and he was my husband. That was more than he would ever get from his one night stands.

  "Ready everyone?" He asked starting the car. I didn't answer, so he gave me a searching look. Nick frowned and pulled me closer to him and as far away as possible from Lucas. Things got even worse, the nasty looks turning into nasty words and the words into subtle threats. We ended up not talking to eachother and by the time we got to the helicopter I was exhausted, but nobody seemed to notice.

   Lucas extended his arm for me when I was about to get into the helicopter and Nick pushed him away. I stood still for a moment waiting for his reaction but Lucas just growled and climbed in. I left out my held breath and climbed in as well, with Nick right behind me. The thought of turning around and leaving crossed my mind for a moment , but then I just took a couple of deep breaths and concentrated on the sounds the helicopter was making. Soon enough, all my worries were replaced by my fear of heights. Oh, God, help me survive this trip! I thought right before Nick took my hand again and put his free arm around my waist. His touch helped me relax and soon I was feeling a little better. If it wasn't for the pink elephant in the room that was watching us closely, making me feel incomplete without him, everything would've been so much better.