Chapter 1: Clouded Happiness

Start from the beginning

"Simple things please simple minds." I muttered, turning away from them to head towards the the dining table in the middle of the kitchen. "And clean that mess up!" I called back to them as I looked over the mouthwatering assortment of cupcakes, cookies and cake, adorned with icing in shades of pink, purple and yellow.

On the kitchen surfaces was the savoury food, enough to feed over fifty people, though that would just about satisfy the stomachs of the pack brothers. With the help of the pack girlfriends/wives and Esme we managed to get together a wide range of foods for everyone, from roasted turkey legs to crab cakes.

As I passed the dining table, my eyes caught the slither of a small dimpled hand reaching out from under the table and towards the cupcakes. Their index finger dipped into the corner of a cupcake, sweeping half the buttercream from its surface, before the now pink hand dove back under the table.

My gifts were like second nature to me now, I didn't need to think about what I wanted to do, it just happened. In this case, my brain immediately went to allowing me to read the child's mind to identify them: Finn Uley.

"Finnley?" I coaxed in an endearing but slightly accusatory voice.

Finn was Sam and Emily's first child. He was an adorable little three year old munchkin, with the beautiful long black Quileute hair — currently tied back in a low ponytail — and Emily's brown, almond shaped eyes.

"Yes, Auntie Aria." His little voice called from under the table, giving him away immediately.

"What do you think you're doing?" I asked, walking around the table to crouch before him. He was licking the pink frosting from his fingers, a cheeky grin plastered over his face showing his milk teeth.

"I was hungry." He declared as he continued to clean himself like a cat.

"Uh huh, well you need dinner first before dessert. Your mommy and daddy will be home soon with your sister, you can eat then." I told him, reaching under the table to pull him out from underneath it and settled him into my hip when I reached my full height. "Now where's your brother?"

"COOKIES!" A second little voice screamed as their tiny feet pattered against the hardwood floor.

Incoming Elliot.

"Elliot, you can't run away from us like that!" Followed Tori's slightly out of breath voice.

Elliot was Sam and Emily's second little monster. They had been busy since their wedding in March 2007. Finn was born in the December of the same year, with Elliot not far behind being born in October 2008, and now their baby girl two years and five months later. I think the boys were hard work and they needed a slight break.

Tori and Embry tumbled into the room a few seconds after Elliot had charged into the room. Tori upped her speed so she could scoop Elliot up into her arms before he could destroy the display. "No cookies until your parents are back." She scolded slightly as I searched for a napkin to wipe Finn's hands with.

"When home?" Elliot asked, his bottom lip poking out. Emily and Sam left late last night for the hospital and poor little Eli had missed them through the night.

"Soon." Tori said reassuringly, smoothing her hand over his hair.

"Hey Tori, good to have you back." Brady smiled, walking into the kitchen to swipe a chicken drumstick.

"Can people stop touching the food!" I shrieked quietly, setting Finn back on the floor.

Tori ignored me. "I miss home, it's way too loud in New York."

Tori had been studying fashion at NYU, no thanks to Alice corrupting her into her favourite hobby. She was now onto her third year, and with the great distance, Embry and herself had come to a great deal that every two weeks they would fly out to one another to spread the cost of travel between them.