Chapter 18

I screamed for Dallas because I had no idea where I was. I didn't know where Kayla was either. She must have been close because I could hear her easily. 

"Johnny?!" She quietly yelled right beside me.

"Kayla?" I could tell I was right in front of her, but then we both then heard the same thing. We heard a loud crack sound like a piece of wood breaking in half. I had to act fast to save Kayla. I threw her in front of me, so the piece of wood hit me instead of her. It knocked me out as soon as it hit me. It hurt like a mother, but since I was unconscious, I really couldn't feel the pain. I didn't have consciousness until we were almost to the hospital.

"Kayla..." Those were the first words that I could get out of my mouth.

"Johnny, stay quiet. Kayla is perfectly fine, and she is in the ambulance in front of us. She'll be okay," Dally assured me. I made a sigh of relief.

"Dally?" I asked kind of upset.

"Yeah, Johnny."

"Why can't I feel my legs?"

"The wood hit you pretty hard Johnny, but you'll be okay. You have to be."

I tried to stay awake for a while, but it didn't work. Again, I was asleep. I wasn't going to sleep for too long. I couldn't stop breathing. I had to stay alive for Kayla. I couldn't leave her. I loved her more than she probably knew. She was my everything. Nevermind, she is my everything. I still love her now, and I won't stop. I never really got consciousness until after they had put me in a room. When I actually woke up, all I could see was a mirror.  I was looking at myself. I had burns on my neck that honestly looked horrible. I was so tired that I could just fall asleep and never wake up. I wouldn't though. I had to see Kayla, and I had to stay strong....for Kayla....

The Next Day

The doctor came to see me last night. He told me that I had third degree burns on my torso, arms, and legs. I couldn't feel most of them, so they didn't hurt that bad. He said I was in critical condition, and I would have to stay in here a while. I didn't mind staying here, but it seemed no one would tell me why I felt so tired all the time. When I asked him, he said he would look at it, but I was sure he wasn't going to. They could care less what happens to greasers like me. He also seemed like an asshole. I hoped they would let the gang come in and see me because I was already bored. Suprisingly staring at myself was really boring. When I saw girls always looking at themselves, I thought it would be interesting, but in fact it is really boring. Girls confuse me. They stare at themselves all day because they think they are beautiful, but Kayla never did that. Did she not think she was beautiful. Oh boy, she was. Some of the girls I have seen stare at themselves aren't pretty at all, but Kayla was. Why didn't she stare at herself like those other girls did? I'll have go ask her when I see her......if I get to see her......