Chapter 13

I sat up from the floor and looked at the ground. There was a small note from Johnny on the ground written in dust. This place was honestly nasty with all the dust everywhere. I woke up Pony and told him that Johnny had went to go get stuff. He walked outside to get a drink from the faucet. I laid back down and just stared at the ceiling. I hear yelling coming from outside, so I run out thinking that something bad happened. Johnny was standing up with stuff in his hands, and Pony was laying on the ground face first. I cracked a smile, which eventually turned into a laugh.

"Come on, Dally said for us to stay inside." Johnny said starting to laugh with me. Pony and Johnny were unpacking the stuff out of the box.

Pony saw peroxide, "Oh, no we ain't."

Johnny looked at him, "Come on, we gotta. They're gonna have our descriptions in the paper, we can't fit 'em."

Pony put the peroxide down, "No, sir. You ain't touching my hair."

I looked up from the ground, "Pony, Johnny's right."

Pony sat down, "Fine, be easy."

Johnny started hacking away at Pony's hair while I watched Pony make faces of pain. I snickered from where I was sitting on the floor until Johnny came up to me with his knife.

"Johnny, no," I refuse.

"I'm really sorry Kayla. I really don't want to hurt you, but it's what has to be done," He was shaking, and he was about to start cutting. He stopped. He turned to Pony and handed him the knife.

"Johnny, why are you giving this to me?" Pony asked.

"I can't do it. I simply cannot hurt her."

My heart fluttered. It made me happy that he will not hurt me if his life depends on it. Before I couldn't even finish my thought, Pony was already cutting 80% of my hair off. When he finished, Johnny gave me a broken mirror to look at my hair. It was super short and made me look pretty much like a boy. I hated it, but Johnny kept telling me over and over that it looked beautiful. Pony also cut Johnny's hair because I couldn't hurt him after he refused to hurt me. Johnny and Pony went outside while I sat on the ground looking at my hair in the mirror.

"Hey Kayla! Bring that mirror out here, Pony wants to see his hair!" Johnny yelled to me from outside. I listened and walked outside with the mirror. I took one look at Pony and didn't even recognize he was my brother. He rolled his eyes at me, and I handed the mirror to him.

"Ugh, I hate it," he says.

"Come on, Pony, it doesn't look that bad," Johnny and I say in sync, trying to encourage him. He and I laugh, and we all walk back inside. We sit down to eat. The only food Johnny got was bologna and bread, so that is all we ate. I hated bologna, so every bite I took was like torture. After we ate, we played a few games of cards. Johnny won two, I won six, and Pony won zero. I started torturing Pony about not winning any, so he tackled me to the ground. It soon turned into a wrestling match that I won again. The while time we fought, Johnny just watched and laughed.

"Come on, Pony, you got to be better than that to beat me."

"Aw, shut up Kayla."