chapter 1

I'm a Curtis sister. My brothers are Ponyboy, Sodapop, and Darrell. I am 15 which is younger than Sodapop, but I am older than Ponyboy. Most of the gang doesn't know me or talk to me because I have stayed in my room since my parents died. I get up really early to get breakfast before the rest of the crew gets up and get up really late to eat dinner. I usually have snacks in my room for during the day.  I sometimes see my older brother during the day or early in the morning, and he will tell me to talk to people more. We'll have a longish conversation until I hear someone start waking up, and I'll run back to my room. Today I was thinking about going to meet the gang, so I sneak into Darry's room at about 6 in the morning after knocking. He was just laying in bed staring at the ceiling. He looked up when I walked in.

"Hey Darry," I whispered.

"What's up Kayla?" He said.

"I think I want to meet the gang today, but how do I do it?"

"I'll stay here later to introduce you to the guys you don't know. Who do you know by the way?"

"I know all of you guys and Dally."

"Good because Dally probably won't be here this morning. Does this mean you are going back to school too?"

"Maybe."

"School starts on Monday, so get ready to have to wake up early. Let's go."

He got out of bed with all his work clothes on, and I followed him out of the room.

"Why did you sleep in your work clothes? Did you not change last night or even take a shower?"

"I was planning on taking one this morning, but I'll do it after you get introduced."

We walked down the hallway, and I walked into the kitchen. Soda was making breakfast, and Pony was sitting at the kitchen table talking to someone I didn't know. When they turned to me, Pony and Soda looked surprised and the stranger looked shocked and confused. Pony quickly got up and gave me a hug and congratulated me on making it out of my room. Soda gave me a hug too while the stranger just sat there confused. He was actually kind of cute. He had black hair that was greased in front of the left side of his forehead. He had a scared or nervous expression permanently marked on his face. I turned around to Darry, and he just smiled at me. I gave him the 'what do I do' expression. He pushed me over a little, and got passed me into the kitchen.

"Hey Johnny Cade, this is Kayla. Kayla, this is Johnny."

I waved at him, and he stared and waved back. He was really cute. I wonder what he thinks......