Chapter 12

Kayla shook my hand a little, so I looked over at her to see what she wanted.

"Johnny relax. You have been stiff this whole time. Loosen up a little."

"How d-do you expect m-me to relax when I-I just killed a boy?"

"I know it's hard, but you have to get calmer. Just clam down a little, and I will be happy."

I took several deep breaths in and out. I sort of calmed down, but Kayla helped that out the most by giving me a kiss on the cheek. I enjoyed it and smiled for the first time all night. Once we got go Buck's, Buck opened the door. He must have been drunk or having a party because he wasn't having it.

"What do you want?" He was moody.

"We need to talk to Dally," Pony told him.

"Eh, forget it. He's busy."

"Tell him it's Pony and Johnny man he'll come."

"Hold on."

He walked back inside, and we waited...and waited...and waited. After a while, Dally came out shirtless. To be honest, I thought we were bothering his girl time, but he told us we weren't. He said that he was just trying to get some sleep.

"What do you guys want?"

"Johnny killed a soc," Ponyboy couldn't have said that anymore straightforward.

"Good job. Now, come inside. Pony are you wet?" He pulls us inside, "Oh hey Kayla."

"I'm not necessarily happy right now."

He looked shocked, and honestly I was too. He led us inside and up to his room. He gave Pony one of Buck's flannels, and I just kept looking out the window. Kayla walked up behind me and put her arm over my shoulder. We both looked out the window together. Dally looked up at us and smiled a little. He nudged Pony, and they both looked at us.

"Oh. Are you two a thing?" Dally asked. We both looked over at him like he was an idiot, but to be completely honest, he was.

"What an observation?" Kayla says. I tried to laugh to make Kayla feel better, but I couldn't do it. Dally laughed though. After he talked and told us to head to Windrixville, he lead us out the door. We headed for the freight to Windrixville. While Ponyboy used my freaking legs as pillows, Kayla let me lay my head on her shoulder. She laid her head right on top of my head, and we all fell asleep. I woke up first before waking up Pony and Kayla. We had to jump off the moving train, so Pony and I went first. Kayla must have gotten scared because she didn't jump at the same time as us. We ran with the train, and yelled that we would catch her. Kayla was still scared, but soon she got the courage and jumped into our arms. I was surprised I caught her without collapsing. Pony walked in front of Kayla and I holding hands. Once we finally got to the church, we were all tired, it was late, and we just went to sleep together. Multiple times, I tried to get the courage to cuddle with her, but I couldn't find it. After about three times, the courage came, and I left my arm over her. In the morning, I had to go get food and stuff, so I left early. I wrote why I left in dust on the floor. I took the money Dally had given us and went out to buy groceries. I got stuff for sandwiches, peroxide, a book, and a deck of cards. I kind of hurried back to the church with the stuff to show Pony and Kayla. When I got there, I saw Pony hiding in a small hole.