Chapter 8

These boys were socs, and they were probably coming to get there girls or to beat the shit out of us. I didn't want to fight, and I didn't want Kayla to get hurt. She walked up to me and grabbed my hand, so I felt like I could protect her if I absolutely had to. I looked over at her and could tell we shared an expression. It was fear, pure fear. We were both scared to death. The socs car stopped and two jumped out. 

"Cherry, what do you think you're doing?! We only got a little drunk," The blonde soc yells.

"That's the guy with the rings, man," I whisper to Pony while the socs are fighting. I was now even more scared since the soc with the rings was the soc that beat me up. 

"You call reeling and passing out in the streets a LITTLE! I told you i'm not going with you when you're drunk," Cherry yelled.

"That doesn't give you an excuse to be walking around with these bums," The dark haired one said.

"Who you callin' bums pal?" Two-bit strikes back.

"You. Now we got four more in the back seat," The dark haired one said again. Two-bit broke the bottom off a beer bottle, threw it at Pony, and pulled out his switchblade.

"Pity the back seat," Two-bit said. Pony looks like he couldn't use the bottle, and I was scared to death. The soc with the rings looks at Kayla before looking at me and snickering. It was almost like he remembered me.  The soc and Two-bit go back and forth yelling before Cherry tells them to stop. She pulls Pony aside before leaving with the socs. I was relieved, and I took a huge breath. I was probably turning blue from holding my breath so long. We start to walk, and Kayla never let go of my hand. Honestly, I enjoyed it. 

"Those girls were nice huh?" Pony asked.

"Yeah. They were pretty," Two-bit said. He crumpled a piece of paper, put it in his mouth, and spit it as far as he could.

"What was that?" I asked.

"That Marcia girl's number. I knew she was too good for me. Anyway, I'll see you guys later," he said as walked to his house. Pony, Kayla, and I waved to Two-bit and walked to the park. We sat on some car seats that were laying on the ground and just talked. Kayla seemed pretty quiet te whole time. While Pony made a fire, I couldn't take it anymore and started to cry. I told Pony I  was thinking about killing myself and I couldn't take it anymore. Kayla cuddled up next to me, and she also had tears in her eyes. Pony came over to calm me down, and it worked. All of a sudden, I was asleep cuddled up to Pony and Kayla. I was woken up by Kayla shaking me.

"What? Huh?" Pony asks.

"I don't know what time it is because I fell asleep too, but you gotta go. Tell Darry I am staying here with Johnny please, Kayla said. 

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

Kayla cuddled up to me again, and we fell asleep together. I honestly felt happy with her in my arms. Pony ran to us and woke us both up. He told us we were running away, and I was honestly concerned. I didn't know what happened, and it scared me. After running far, we stopped and calmed Pony down.

"Pony, what the hell happened?" Kayla asked him after he had chilled out a little. 

"He hit me. Darry hit me. I swear we used to get along fine, but now he can't stand me," he said.

"He what?!" Kayla looked stunned. I honestly couldn't believe that Darry would hit Pony. They always acted like they got along. I was honestly scared, but I got even more scared when the soc car from earlier pulled up.