Chapter 7

When Johnny grabbed my hand to show the boy I'm his, I didn't look back, but I definitely smiled. The boy stopped trying to flirt with me and just walked away. We finished the movie and took the soc girls on a walk. We walked for a little, but a blue mustang pulled up. I always heard that socs had the more expensive cars, so I was scared. I walked right up to Johnny and grabbed his hand. He looked at me, and his facial expression was exactly the same as mine. Fear, pure fear. The socs stopped and two of them jumped out of the car. 

"Cherry, what do you think you're doing?! We only got a little drunk," The blonde soc yells. 

"That's the guy with the rings, man," Johnny whispers to Pony and I while the socs are fighting.

"You call reeling and passing out in the streets a LITTLE! I told you i'm not going with you when you're drunk," the girl who I assumed was Cherry yelled.

"That doesn't give you an excuse to be walking around with these bums," The dark haired one said.

"Who you callin' bums pal?" Two-bit strikes back.

"You. Now we got four more in the back seat," The dark haired one said again. Two-bit broke the bottom off a beer bottle, threw it at Pony, and pulled out his switchblade.

"Pity the back seat," Two-bit said. Pony looks like he couldn't use the bottle, and Johnny looks scared to death. The blonde one looks at me then Johnny and snickers. The soc and Two-bit go back and forth yelling before Cherry tells them to stop. She pulls Pony aside before leaving with the socs. Johnny takes a huge sigh of relief when they drive away. We walk away, but I never let go of Johnny's hand.

"Those girls were nice huh?" Pony asked.

"Yeah. They were pretty," Two-bit said. He crumpled a piece of paper, put it in his mouth, and spit it as far as he could.

"What was that?" Johnny asked.

"That Marcia girl's number. I knew she was too good for me. Anyway, I'll see you guys later," he said as walked to his house. Johnny, Pony, and I waved to Two-bit and walked to the park. We sat on some car seats that were laying on the ground and just talked. I just listened instead of talked. While Pony made a fire, Johnny started to cry and tell Pony he was thinking about killing himself. I cuddled up to him and almost started crying myself. Pony calmed him down and all of a sudden we were all asleep. I was the first to wake up, so I very quickly woke up Pony and Johnny.

"What? Huh?" Pony asks.

"I don't know what time it is because I fell asleep too, but you gotta go. Tell Darry I am staying here with Johnny please."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

Johnny and I cuddled up to each other again and soon fell asleep. I honestly felt happy and safe in between his arms. Pony ran to us and woke us both up. He told us we were running away, and I was honestly concerned. I didn't know what happened, and it scared me. After running far, we stopped and calmed Pony down.

"Pony, what the hell happened?" I asked after he had calmed down a little bit.

"He hit me. Darry hit me. I swear we used to get along fine, but now he can't stand me," he said.

"He what?!" I couldn't believe Darry would hit him. Darry and Pony always seemed like they got along. I couldn't believe it.