18 - Reality

<Flashback 9 years ago>
Seoul, South Korea

"Mr. and Mrs. Jeon, from the tests that we have made, I'm sorry that we have to inform you, your son is diagnosed with cardiomyopathy or heart muscle disease which makes it difficult for his heart to pump blood efficiently into the lungs or the rest of the body. That must explain why Mr. Jeon Jungkook often having difficulties to breath, always feels dizzy, fatigue, easily fainted or regularly having chest pain."

The statement from the doctor faintly buzzing in their ears. No matter how many times they asked for repeated tests, no matter how many doctors they consulted, how many hospitals they reached, the results were same. The clear black and white written letter slapped them with the fact that their son was sick. Their 19 years old son, Jeon Jungkook was diagnosed with heart failure when he was at the blooming age. When he has such a long way to explore, to experience so many things, to enjoy things his peers love to do. It broke their heart.

Jungkook was always an active kid, he took part in sports, he participated in his school's competitions, he registered for martial arts, he loves extreme sports, he was a proud athlete in his college and how come both of them dared to convey him about the news.

As 19 years old Jeon Jungkook, he was living his whole life as an active and competitive person. He loves to try new things, challenged himself into various activities, representing his college in sports but he never thought its completely gone the day he was faced with the harsh reality that he has a heart failure. His own heart betrayed him. Too many questions he pondered, too many pains he got.

He didn't cry afraid his tears will hurt his parents more but how much stronger he can be when his mind keeps wondering what will happen next? How longer can he be alive? Will he be able to make his parents happy? How much pain he will face afterwards? Will he himself be happy?

And for the first time in 19 years old, he felt helpless.

Money is not an issue for them. Mr. Jeon is rich enough to afford whatever costs they charged for his son's treatment. He referred to various doctors and specialists from local and internationals' hospitals to treat Jungkook but it always ended up in failure.

1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years span seeing Jungkook suffered with the sudden dizziness, sometimes he would faint from walking, the continuous nausea and heart attacks, Mr. Jeon never stopped trying to find cure for his son accompanied by his own tears, fatigues and hopes that one day Jungkook will come back to them. He will not give up.

******

"Doctor Lim said the lifespan for heart failure patient is usually only up to 5 years mom"

Jungkook mindlessly said to Mrs. Jeon, lying in his hospital bed after he was suffered with another heart attack 2 days ago. The active Jeon Jungkook was now gone, it left them with a sunken pale face, thinner body and a lost soul.

Mrs. Jeon froze, eyes already brimming with tears. She was shocked to hear the statement but she couldn't say anything. They were all aware of the consequences. The last option was heart transplantation and yet they still failed to find the suitable donor. Jungkook was always at the top of the waiting list, it's hard to agree but his health has always keep deteriorating since the day he was diagnosed with the disease and it makes Mrs. Jeon more anxious seeing the time keeps ticking and his son was getting weaker.

She held her son's hand tight, chest heaving up with painful emotions. Finding positive words to calm her son. She knew Jungkook was afraid. He was only 24 years old he was too young to leave this world.