"Uh," Josh blinked. "I already learned this at my old school."

Tyler nodded understandingly. "Cool," he replied, looking back down at his paper.

"Oh, so now you want to talk to me?" Josh asked, the cocky sentence leaning his mouth before he could decide not to say it.

Tyler glanced back up at him. "You're a new kid. Aren't you supposed to be shy?"

Josh raised an eyebrow. "You're a jock," he gestured to his shirt that said 'Lincoln High Basketball Camp' which must've happened over the summer. "Aren't you supposed to be stupid?"

Josh wasn't afraid to stick up for himself despite the fact he didn't have many friends. He just wasn't good at socializing and trusting but it didn't mean he didn't have a mouth on him.

Tyler grinned at that. "Touché," he replied. "I'm sorry about this morning," he apologized. "It was just uh... something came up... and I just didn't feel comfortable talking to someone new. If wasn't your fault."

Josh smiled softly. "It's okay. Thanks for apologizing."

Tyler nodded once again. "Yeah of course. I'm not a total asshole. Sometimes," he laughed. "I heard you talking to Jenna. Maybe it's better you don't get attached to anyone here either. This town is... special."

Josh cocked his head to the side in a confused manner. "What does that have to do with the people?"

"The town has secrets. So do the people," Tyler stated simply.

Josh laughed. "Lots of people have secrets. I have secrets."

Tyler smiled. "Like what?"

"They wouldn't be secrets if I told you."

"Exactly."

Josh's mouth rested into a small smile. "Well Jenna gave me her number this morning and texted me, inviting me to sit at lunch with you guys. If you don't want me there I can always sit with my brother."

Guilt flashed through Tyler's eyes. "No, you can," he replied. "I'm just trying to warn you about certain things."

Josh laughed. "I'm a big boy, Tyler. I can take care of myself. Plus, no offense, but I highly doubt you or Jenna could do anything to harm me."

Tyler's lips curled into a knowing smile. "Okay," he laughed as well. "Then sure. Sit with us," he paused. "Mrs. Black is Jenna's mom by the way. She really sweet and truly means it when she says if you need anything you can go to her. But if you hurt Jenna that's when she'll hate you," he chuckled. "She's kind but overprotective."

Josh glanced at her. "I can see that."

Josh saw the bell was about to ring and realized that they had spent way longer on their quiz than they intended due to them talking. Tyler finished up the last few questions before taking both their quizzes up and grabbing a sheet of homework for each of them.

Just as they finished putting their things away, the bell rang. The two grabbed their bags and were about to walk out together when a voice stopped them. "Tyler?"

The mentioned turned around but so did Josh— out of curiosity. Mrs. Black was looking at them. "Yeah?" Tyler replied.

"Can I talk to you real quick? It won't take long."

Tyler turned back to Josh. "Wait in the hallway for me. I'll be out in a few."

Josh nodded and walked out, perching himself by the doorway. He grabbed his phone out and saw he had a text from Jordan.

Jordan
Found some guys to eat with. See you after school bro

Josh smiled. He was glad Jordan was fitting in. It was the norm but he was glad Jordan could always do it.

He slid his phone back in his pocket, stopping when he caught part of Tyler and Mrs. Black's conversation.

"How are you doing, Tyler?" She asked.

Tyler sighed. "Alright. I still hate this," he let out a humorless chuckle.

Josh could almost see the sad look on his teacher's face. "I know, honey. Jenna does too. Why don't you come over tonight? For dinner?"

Tyler let out a genuine laugh this time. "For dinner?"

Mrs. Black let out a small laugh as well. "Yes, Tyler."

"Sure. Is that all? I don't wanna keep Josh waiting."

"One more thing."

"Yes?"

"Speaking of Josh..." she began. "Don't let him get hurt. Don't let him end up like you guys."

"I won't," Tyler promised.

"Okay now get out of my classroom," she spoke but Josh could hear the smile behind her voice.

A moment later Tyler walked out, an anxious look on his face. He saw Josh and forced a smile. "Ready?"

Josh smiled back, hoping to ease whatever Tyler was worried about. "Ready."

It was silent as the two began walking but Josh couldn't help but think.

Although the conversation he just heard confused the hell out of him... he hoped he was becoming friends with Tyler and Jenna. They seemed like good people. And it would be a plus for him to finally fit in like his brother.