Chapter 54

Author's Note: Hey guys! I wanted to apologize for this oh so late update! I just recently got back to university and wanted to get settled in again before I started updating once more. I hope you enjoy!

P.S. How are you guys liking the book so far? What's your favorite part? Is there too much smut now, lmao?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 54

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flicker of light, I am a sacrifice.

Born to die.

Lacona's life depends on my death.

They mean to kill me here, to have my blood weep into Shadowland soil.

I have no choice.

By one way or another, I will die.

As footsteps gallop across the ground, I wake. So many thoughts war in my head, screaming and scrambling over each other, I gasp to breathe.

The thought that terrifies me the most stays the same.

Butcher knows I am Lacona's princess, else why would he call me by that name. He knew my namesake from the very beginning. As we stood on the cliff, face to face, he identified me before I ever really knew who he was.

How does he know?

My heart struggles to beat as I remember the Raider-like soldiers in my nightmare. Perhaps Butcher works for these men. Perhaps they sent him to assassinate me, entrusting him to complete the job. It makes perfect sense, in fact it's genius. He ensures my blood will stain this wasteland, the ground of this godforsaken jungle. He ensures the fulfillment of the sacrifice.

Grasped in his arms, face snuggled to his hard chest, right where his heart beats, I pretend to sleep. I cannot face the truth yet. The Grim Reaper approaches and I look on helplessly, a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. Tears burn behind my lids and a careful shudder slips free.

I go limp in his arms, attacked from all sides by blinding fear.

I thought he would save me.

I was wrong.

I should've never hoped...

~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually, after trekking for hours, Butcher halts by what sounds like a river. Carefully setting me down on the bank, I hear him begin to strip off his clothes. When he begins to do the same to me, unbuttoning my sweaty tunic, I rip open my eyes.

Is this the end? Will I end up as a bloated corpse careening downstream?

"Butcher..."

He comes into focus, dripping in scarlet blood. Everything, from his eyelashes to the cracks between his fingers, lies soaked in gore. My stomach rolls. Looking down at myself, I realize I am the same. I clutch my ruined tunic, eyes wide with horror.

"Is it your blood?"

Despite what he may do to me, despite the ugly threat hanging over my head, my heart breaks and I pray to God it isn't his.

"Butcher?—."

"No, it's not." But I see his grimace, the secret hand clutching his side. As he wades into the water, naked down to his trousers, I clamber after him. Everything spins as I rise and for a moment, I swear I'll faint. Locking my knees, I somehow manage to stay upright long enough to reach the waves.

Butcher slips under the water, disappearing for what seems like hours. In truth, only seconds pass by, but my body hammers crazily, fearing he might never rise.