Chapter 5

___________

Chapter 5

___________

They call our last meal in the training center "The Final Feast'. In true ironic fashion, Keepers distribute exact replicas of the dresses we wore to the Graduation ceremony, instructing us to wear them to the banquet. I nearly don't wear my gown. The whole ceremony, the whole concept, churns up sick bile.

Jewel convinces me to, reminding me if I don't I'll only attract attention to myself.

Girls crowd around the few mirrors in the water closet, excitedly applying makeup to their grinning faces. I proudly wear my face blank—a small act of defiance that Jewel hopes won't be seen as something bigger.

I finish getting ready early— that's considering the fact I've only thrown on my dress, ignoring my hair and face. Then I watch the clock, waiting for impending misery. That is until Luna, an old classmate, speaks.

"We finally get to see the male graduates," she says in a stage whisper. "And there's going to be dancing!"

My sharp intake of air gives away my surprise. Several heads turn curiously. I redden and turn to Jewel, who quickly shuts her open-hanging mouth.

"Kerry," I breathe.

We might get a chance to warn him before it's too late.

~~~~~~~~~~

The grand room is larger than I imagined. I thought the venue would have to be massive to fit both male and female graduates, each gender being more than five thousand strong. But when I closed my eyes I never dreamed of this.

Jewel and I enter side by side, our necks craning around to marvel at the glamour. The floor sports blue velvet, farther in the room there's hardtop cedar wood for dancing. Pristine white trimmings paired with ornate red carvings run the length of walls. Chandeliers grace the ceiling with their glimmering jewels and soft light, along with sculpted candles. And yet, despite all the opulence, everything screams of hidden ugliness.

It's awful.

Jewel grabs my hand in her small one, gently squeezing. We're both terrified.

We take a seat in the center of the room, hoping to get a good view of every face. I pivot in my chair, disappointed when I don't spot a mop of hazel hair or grey eyes. But all the tables aren't filled yet and the feast is only beginning. There's still time.

"I'm not going to worry," Jewel says.

I nod, pretending my legs aren't tapping incessantly because I'm nervous. I shift closer to the decadence in the center of table. The rich fare sends steam up to the ceiling. Golden vessels of Helion's sweetest wine surround silver platters of carved meats.

Jewel and I share a look, remembering to not eat anything but the fruit, vegetables, and bread. Dana warned me not to gorge, tomorrow a full stomach will only make running harder.

"I learned from experience."

Luna pops up at the table, staring at our plates incredulously.

"What are you two? Anorexic?"

Her posse titters.

"Yes we are," I say, holding back an annoyed glare.

"Ah sarcasm." Luna catches on, squinting at me. "I'm Luna, nice to meet you."

My eyebrows furrow. "We know each other already."

"The shy, scowling Phoenix?" Luna laughs. "No I'm glad to meet the bad bitch who withstood a jar of cockroaches. Personally, I would have shot myself."