Chapter 43

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 43

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A scream snatches me from my thoughts. I jump, dropping the pine leaves I tried making into tea. Jewel hollers, twisting under the furs. Blue veins bulge under her skin.

"Make it stop!"

I throw back the covers.

"Everything hurts!" Her mouth opens wide and she shrieks, clutching me. "Make it stop!"

I am a puppet, hanging on strings. Xaro watches, Xaro makes me move.

"I think Atol has painkillers."

I find his bag, ransacking the contents. Nothing. Frustration takes over as Jewel's pained cries ring in my head. I throw everything on the floor, combing through the mess. Antiseptic. A gun. Dried meat. Weird leaves.

I steal a few, remembering when Atol forced me to drink them. Jewel weeps freely, cradling herself to fight off the pain. Pummeling the leaves to a manageable mush, I toss them in a curved piece of bark and mix it with melted snow.

The concoction makes her sleep. As her eyes flutter closed, I hold her hand.

~~~~~~

She stirs at noonday, coming alive with a strangled sigh. I brush back her hair.

"Better?"

"Almost."

One of my tears splats on her cheek. I wipe it away.

"I'm sorry I didn't find you sooner."

Water pools in her eyes.

"It's not your fault."

"I'm so sorry."

She turns her face away. I take the opportunity to squash the droplets in my eyes. The den goes silent as both of us struggle to hide overwhelming emotion. After a beat, Jewel turns back, forcing a smile.

"So... who's your boyfriend?"

Taken aback, I balk.

"Don't be crude! As if I would ever go for that."

Frowning, she touches my arm.

"Why? What's wrong with him?"

I freeze, blinking innocently. Have I said too much? Will she suspect something wrong?

"Phoenix?"

I squeeze her hand. "Atol's a Raider."

She stops.

"No, he can't be."

"He is."

"But he's so... nice."

I duck my head, coughing loud and hard.

"Are you okay?"

I nod, arms circling my stomach. Jewel sits up, her stare probing into my soul as always. A smirk brightens her pale hue.

"After he tucked you in last night, we talked."

"... About what?"

Her eyes twinkle. "Me. 90 days. You."

I catch my breath. "What did he say?"

Jewel rolls her eyes. "If you wanted to know, you shouldn't have fallen asleep."

"Not funny." I lurch forward. "Tell me."

She howls. "You're on my leg!"

"Sorry!"