Chapter 52 (MATURE WARNING)

SO HEY GUYS, LET'S PUT IT THIS WAY.... THIS BOOK IS KINDA MATURE FROM HERE ON OUT. SORRY IF THAT'S NOT YOUR THING. YOU CAN POTENTIALLY ONLY READ THE MINIMAL NUMBER CHAPTERS WITHOUT MATURE THEMES FROM HERE ON, BUT YOU KINDA END UP MISSING A FEW (A LOT) OF IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS.

MATURE THEMES INCLUDE SEXUAL BEHAVIOR AND CURSING.

IT WAS NICE MEETING YOU AND IF YOU WANT TO KEEP READING MY WORKS (JUST NOT THIS ONE), CHECK OUT MY PROFILE :D <3

SEE YOU WHEN I SEE YOU :P

PS YOU SHOULD REALLY LISTEN TO THE SONG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 52

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Butcher's whore.

The words haunt me as I wash myself clean of the dead Raider's scent. To avoid thinking about my attackers, I concentrate my thoughts on Butcher. With him in my mind, the dragons recede.

The memory of his powerful swing at my enemy still shakes me. And even though it thrills me in a twisted, primal way that my warrior would kill for me, strewing the ground with my fallen enemies, I still must remember he considers me his whore.

Part of me pretends it's all a joke, that the name means nothing. But as I remember how he dominated when he made love to me, how he possessively claimed my body and even called me his, my eyes guiltily drop to the waves.

I...

The scandal of it all clings to my bones, seeping into my lungs. Worse still, even though I try, I can't make myself repent. At Butcher's command, I would still melt to my knees.

Dripping hair tickles my shoulders as I lift my head and squint at the setting sun. My cheeks scorch. What would the Entitleds back home say. I envision the shock on their faces. Phoenix? A whore?

Nebula's pensive face suddenly comes to mind. I shudder and shut my eyes to keep her out. She forces her way behind my lids anyway, reaching out to me.

"Phoenix... what have you done?"

"I've fallen, Nebula. I'm still falling."

"Listen to me—."

"You wouldn't understand," I answer, cutting her off.

I open my eyes, heart racing. She has to go; she can't see me like this, even if she is only a dreamed-up copy. I try to banish her, but she clutches me, holding tight.

"Phoenix..."

"Let me go!"

"What have you done?" she repeats.

"He owns me."

"No one can own you, you are always free."

"I can't fight him anymore."

"Yes you can—."

"I don't want to fight him anymore."

Her eyes brim with mortification.

"Phoenix—"

"I'm lost, Nebula. I'm ruined. Forget the innocent little girl that you knew, she never existed anyway. Cuth made sure of that..."

Her expression fills with disbelief.

"Cuth? What do you mea—."

A hawk's sharp caw rescues me from the hallucination. My teeth chatter. Dragging slender fingers through my freshly washed hair, I root myself in reality, stifling oncoming shivers. I can't believe I almost told her the truth, even in fantasy. Throughout my time in Helion, I could never find the courage. Thanks to my tortured silence, she will live the rest of her life believing she always did right by me. No harm had come to her under my watch, she will say. She always thought she looked out for me. In her mind, the bitter girl I turned out to be arose from my longing for something she couldn't provide.