Chapter 48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to Atol shaking my shoulder. Startled by his curtain of black hair covering my face, I come to with a gasp. The barest of blue eyes come into focus. Mesmerized by the oceans staring at me, I lay there, barely breathing.

Is this what the depths of the sea looks like? I take a mental picture for when I finally escape this hellhole. One day I'll find the ocean and see if it's true, if Atol's eyes are actually more striking than an ocean.

The death soldier leans over me, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Princess..."

That one word shifts my heart in a direction it should not go. A thrill rushes through me and goosebumps lift on my skin. My heart beats overtime, going on overdrive and behaving unreasonably. I tell myself I am scared of him. I tell myself anything but the truth.

When I sit up, his lips seem so near. Our faces are only inches apart. In a haze of exhaustion and wonder, I lean forward, determined to view those soft lips up close.

Atol catches my chin, holding it between thumb and forefinger.

"Jewel. She's-." The tone of his voice snaps me from my haze. Reality filters in and blackens the picture. Remembering my friend, I suddenly forget Atol. I pull away abruptly, turning to my right. Jewel lies on the furs, sleeping peacefully. I crawl to her side, touching her forehead. She's fine, just a little cold to the touch. Nothing to fear. Her fever must have gone down immeasurably during the night.

"Wake up, Jewel." I rub her arm to encourage her open her eyes. As I do, I glance back at Atol. In a startling move, he reaches for me. The heat searing my skin heightens and I scoot back. Embarrassment rushes through like a tidal wave.

Is he acting this way because of this morning? He caught me off-guard in my least conscious moment. I behaved foolishly and in a manner, a fully alert Phoenix never would have. I hope he does not take any of my actions to heart or believe they were genuine. He confused me, that's all. I could never feel anything but gratitude for him.

"I can handle her," I say. "Did you find any breakfast? When she wakes up we should eat."

"Princess..."

I turn away, blushing like a schoolgirl. "I can take it from here."

I give Jewel my full attention, calling her name. "Jewel, wake up. C'mon. I know you're tired. So am I, but we have to go."

She ignores me. Rolling my eyes, I move in closer, shaking her shoulders now. Atol stands behind me, watching. Bewildered that he has not already gone, I squint my eyes, trying to conceal my worry. Why is he still here? Will he now finally demand payment for saving our lives? Is he tired of waiting? When his hand grasps my shoulder, I close my eyes, deciding to give into every request. I imagine myself lying on my back. After everything, nothing I do could ever repay him anyway. It's only fair... I clench my eyes shut.

But he only squeezes my shoulder, as if trying to get my attention. When I ignore him, he lets go.

I shake Jewel's shoulders three times before confusion finally takes over. She rolls gently with each push, easily moving left and right. There is no resistance, no sign of annoyance. She sleeps so deeply, nothing I do can wake her from it.

Finally, it hits me.

"Jewel?" The question comes out as a hoarse whisper. Trembling, I jerk her head to the left. She moves like a raggedy doll, without feeling or care. Frozen on her face, lies an expression of contentment and peace.