Chapter 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That kiss never happened.

A daytime nightmare chanced upon me as I hid in tangible creeping dark. God knows I would never let that animal kiss me, to let him rob me of my body, of my own desperate soul. God knows I'd never yield to a cutthroat willingly. Never let him feast on me as a bear does dripping honeycombs. Permit him to cradle forbidden parts of me, parts of me long cold from lack of gentle, human touch. Yet, my lips ignite from the elusive taste of him. Water soaks the meeting of my thighs.

I run my tongue over burning lips. His lingering taste turns passion's dying flame into a monstrous urge. I squirm and struggle to stay in my head, determined to repress all these promiscuous emotions.

My lungs gasp and shame drags me into a frothing kettle of horror. If I could erase the recent past, I would. How can I live with myself now? Staring after Atol's broad back, I fall against the bark of a willing tree and slap a shaking hand over my mouth. You imagined it all. Of course he wouldn't kiss you.

But he did.

Oh God he did.

And I let him.

I didn't stop him. I wanted him. For one brief, evil moment, I wanted to be his. I'm as dumb as they come. This stupid madness must end. From now on, after erasing whatever traitorous, immoral emotions consuming me, I'll forget him completely—never so much as let myself think of him.

I'm even dumber if I think that'll work.

The futileness of the situation brings me to tears.

Don't cry. You can't cry, Phoenix. It's alright, you're safe now. It's over.

You aren't his docile puppet anymore. A moment of weakness doesn't automatically condemn you to eternal hell. Not if you change.

I push off the tree, knowing what I must do. My feet run towards the clearing where Jewel waits. As I do, a forbidding wind smashes through, sending goosebumps all over my skin and wrenching panicked leaves from their branches. The impact hits my knees, cutting them down. The delicate cloth of my skin rips and weeps crimson. Another gust tears through, carrying within it an unholy, forsaken scream. Forest creatures hidden in their homes stir as if on cue, squawking warnings to each other. They scramble from under lonely shadows, chattering wildly as they dash for the clearing just like me. I pause, a new sort of dread stealing into my chest.

I turn around.

Green fog. The sight of it reminds me of pure, unadulterated evil. It rolls like a departed body. Pitch-black arms and limp, white legs covered with blood-red eyes claw out of the haze; turning everything they touch into a gruesome white. Sense and reason escape me. My soul shakes.

I spin on crumpling legs. As evil advances I grow weaker. My brow dampens and I cough on thickening air. Sickening disease slips in my nose and down my throat.

I stumble onto the clearing, clutching my abdomen.

Jewel, unknowing of our impending doom, smiles slyly at Atol.

"Did you fools take my advice?"

"Run!" I rasp.

Her face pales. Leaning over Jewel, checking to ensure her bandages hold tight, Atol twists and stares at me. It only takes a moment. Glinting awareness shocks his empty irises into a violent shade of ocean blue. At this point I'm too weak to manage a response of my own. All my promises from just five minutes ago burn to hell.

"Atol," I whimper. A black, decaying hand with flesh peeling back in flapping, crimson layers circles my ankle. The sunlight cuts out as if someone flipped off the light switch and the ground comes up to meet me. My forehead smashes into ice's hardened shell.

Go on without me.

It's too late.

The memory of Atol's sinful lips overtaking mine emerges through the haze.

If only those lips could bring me back to life.

~~~~~

"Phoenix!" An urgent voice commands. Like an obedient soldier following orders, I force my eyes open. A heroic warrior splattered with blackened, aged blood and bits of something I'd rather not recognize hovers over me. The goo sticks to his thick, black brows.

"The hand..." I say.

He snatches me from the dirt and shoves me forward. "Move!"

With Jewel thrown over his shoulder, Atol runs after me. Propelled forward by his commanding voice, I race from the ghostly green eating the world behind.