Chapter 7

___________

Chapter 7

___________

"Good morning graduate," a voice says. I open my eyes, reaching for the edge of my downy covers. I hold up handfuls mud instead, jolting up with surprise. My tracker beeps and slowly fades from pink to it's normal grey. The voice I heard must have come from it.

It talks? 

I slap clods of dried mud off my uniform. They fall without a sound, joining the fresh dirt beneath my feet. I chuckle grimly, realizing that my effort to clean up was futile.

Today's battle will replace yesterday's filth. Dana's instructions weren't specific, but he couldn't be. The shadowlands are a beast without comparison. There is no way to completely define its horrors.

I trudge across the muck, heading for the firmer ground. Under the canopy the sounds of life return, unlike the swampy field where vultures' dominating  presence thrived. I note the faint caw of a bird and the buzz of a beetle. For a moment I pause, allowing myself to enjoy the nature-made music. It's time to enjoy the little things now, before I can't anymore.

Back home, a small, cheerful canary chirped outside my window. In the morning she would force me awake with her incessant trilling. Adonis used to leave bird feed for her, just to make sure she'd never leave (I'd always wondered why she'd come back every morning). Despite her racket, she somehow made the apartment more homey. Just thinking of her butter yellow feathers causes homesickness to well up. It is a silly, stupid thing to miss. But I can't help it.

The memory dies as the trees bend under the force of a strong wind. I immediately fall flat on the ground, heart thundering with panic. Through a opening in the canopy, I spot the underside of a grey hovercraft. A crudely drawn X marks the exit, the red letter bold and bright for all to see.

X must stand for Xaro, which means-

"It's the airdrop!" I scramble to my feet.

The hovercraft flies north, leaving a path of bending trees to follow. I race after it, the hunger gnawing at my insides driving me almost mad. Yesterday's aches and pains return with full force. Cramps grip my legs and knife my abdomen.

Forget about it all, Phoenix. Focus!

From the underbrush other Graduates appear, alone and raving for food just like me. Their colors flash past. I identify Privileges and Fortunates. No Entitleds or Raiders run in the midst.

Compared to my snail's space, they run faster than speed zeppelins.

Thankfully, the craft pauses above a small clearing. The bottom of it opens and unleashes packages and bags of food and weapons. After emptying, the hovercraft accelerates and moves on.

Without a moments hesitation, Graduates charge onto the clearing. They remind me of the jar cockroaches, pulsing and scuffling over each other.

I step forward to join the chaos when something grabs my arm. I turn immediately, ready to defend myself, and discover a small girl looking back at me. Her height tempts me to think that she's eleven but by the maturity of her face, I'd say she's at least seventeen.

"Keep running," she says, "I have a bad feeling about this."

I pull away.

"I'm too hungry."

Her mouth opens to reply as the beep of both our trackers fills my ears.

"Congratulations," the woman whose voice is now becoming familiar says. "New level reached. One shock earned."