Chapter 42

"Why did you say we were sisters?" Jewel whispers.

I blush and shake my head, feeling Atol's eyes boring into me.

"We're soul sisters...?"

Jewel and Atol's eyebrows raise. For once I'm thankful that, right at that moment, a bomb smacks the snow nearby. We all cower and forget about me, liar, liar pants on fire. After danger passes, I remind everyone that the next one might land on us. That prevents the conversation from continuing.

Instead, I squeeze Jewel's hand as Atol builds her splint. The bombing hovers directly over us now. Missiles slam the snow all around, climbing to a deafening roar.

Atol ties the branches on either side of Jewel's leg with a piece of twine. The splint lolls to the left even though the twine tries its best to keep it steady. To remain intact, the splint needs more support. I search my pockets for something useful and come up with nothing.

Atol rips off his coat, grabbing the cotton shirt underneath. He tears it off, flashing golden abs and pectoral glory in the process. I drop my eyes. Despite her weakened state, Jewel's eyes bulge. Her entire face turns scarlet.

Atol rips the shirt in half, handing part of it to me.

"Tear this into strips." He puts his coat on, getting to work on his half of tearing.

Wrapped tightly, the torn strips hold the splint in place. Leftover pieces bandage Jewel's head wound. After Atol finishes caring for Jewel's sounds, he motions for me to get moving. I start collecting Jewel's things.

As I lift Jewel's small pack a metal box smacks the edge of the ditch. I turn to look, but Atol snatches the back of my coat, yanking me down.

Boom.

My ears ring. Clods of dirt fly. The air chokes with black fog. Atol responds the fastest, pulling me to my feet and swooping up Jewel in his arms.

"Move! Move!"

We scamper across the snow. Despite our frantic hustle for the woods, I notice the side of my face becoming wet. I grasp it. My hand comes away dripping with blood. Too discombobulated to panic, I wipe the mess off on my tunic.

Atol glances at me. The hard lines in his face soften. "Keep your head on. We've got a long way to go."

I nod robotically. "A long way to go."

We march until the sun sets, until my feet leave behind a trail of blood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Near the dead of night, the sound of bubbling water rolls over the snow. Could it be our hot spring? Atol and I exchange looks. I tap Jewel on the arm. Completely knocked out, she sleeps on Atol's shoulder, dead to the world. She seems so small nestled against Atol's large frame.

And when he holds her, Atol seems much less intimidating. Courage strikes me. I peer up at him, touching his arm.

"Normal, please? Let's be normal."

Let's pretend that none of the crap that happened between us existed. Okay? Can you do that for me?

Atol's eyes turn to slits and he shrugs me off. I clench my fist. As always, he ignores me. For now, Jewel remains blind to the truth between us. How long will it last? Imagine if she ever found out. My cheeks burn with shame.

"Atol! Listen to me!" He tracks up the steep incline and heads for our cave. I scramble after him, thinking of ways to force him to listen. No surprise that none come to mind.