xx.

xxi. RED HOODIE

LINA and her were in the kitchen of Mari's apartment. The two hadn't caught up in a while. Despite having a standoffish exterior, her friend Lina knew that there was much more to Mari than met the eye. She knew that the girl was secretly very soft.

"How can you tell me you didn't cry at that scene? I literally saw you wipe at your eyes." Lina scoffed, whacking a pillow down on Mari's head.

"Ow!" She whined, scowling at the other. "It was allergies!"

"Pft, yeah right. I refuse to believe that."

"He deserves to get his heart broken anyways." Mari grumbled, referring to the TV show they had been watching together. "This whole season he was annoyed with Hari for being such a party girl, and though we all knew he secretly liked her, he totally deserves to get his ass dumped for rejecting her in that previous episode."

"He had a whole romantic gesture though! Tell me Mari, wouldn't you find it hard to turn someone down when they have flowers for you in the pouring rain?"

"No." Mari rolled her eyes. "I hate romance."

"You're lying."

"No, I am not."

"I refuse to believe that. What about that one guy with the fancy car?"

She closed her eyes, grumbling a curse under her breath. Lina smirked, nudging Mari.

"Don't think I didn't see that."

"I was hoping you didn't. He's a...work friend."

"Work friend? Or boyfriend?"

"Shut up." Xiaoling gritted. "He's a friend. That's it."

A friend that she happened to kiss. And one that she wouldn't mind redoing again.

Lina was about to respond, when the doorbell saved Mari. She got up instantly, happy to exit the increasingly embarrassing conversation. Lina scowled at the girl's retreating form, slightly irritated with her denial. Mari always seemed to do that; whenever something good was going on in her life, she would quickly shut it down, or destroy it. Not that she enjoyed being sad, but Lina knew that Mari had a troubled life before moving to Korea. Lina never questioned it much, through the little hints that Xiaoling would accidentally slip, she could tell that it wasn't something her friend had gotten past yet.

Mari opened the door, then halted. First thing she noticed was the rain, and then a bright red hoodie.

"What are you doing here?" She breathed, hand tightened around the doorknob. Jae seemed to eye her outfit, a simple choice of blue pajamas, and uncharacteristic neon pink slippers. He arched a brow at them, a look which passed quickly, then shrugged.

"I was bored."

"I'm flattered." Mari drawled. "You think of me when you're bored."

He blinked, taken aback. "No, that's not what I—"

The grin already spread across her face faded when another female chimed from behind her.

"Ooh, this is Fancy Car right?" She grinned. "I'm Lina, her friend."

Right after, she smacked Mari on the arm. "Let him inside, you idiot. It's raining outside!"

"Why are you always so violent with me?" She slowly opened the door wider. "Make yourself at home, I guess."

"This place is nice." Jae stated, looking around at her living room. "Do you two live together?"

"No. We used to." Lina sighed. "Mari moved out because my boyfriend kept coming over."

"That's why she is always here." Mari added. "She feels guilty for driving me out."

Jae seemed like a giant compared to Lina. Lina was the shortest one of them all, but when she looked at the other two other, Lina could conclude that they looked good together. The two friends had many classes together in their years of college, and she hadn't seen Mari converse so naturally with a guy like that. And not just a guy, she didn't really talk to many people in general. This was a first.

"So, you live here by yourself?"

"Yeah."

Lina coughed, then grinned. "Oh yeah, I have to go study. Mari, if you need me I'll be upstairs."

Mari watched the short brunette leave silently, then turned to Jae sharply.

"Why are you really here?" She whispered. "You knew she was here, didn't you."

"Saw the second car parked outside where I parked mine the other day." He smirked. "I don't know if Heejin told you, but we got a mission."

"And why are you of all people telling me? Heejin already filled me in, but I wouldn't consider myself one of you guys yet."

"The tattoo proves enough." Jae's thumb ran past the design on her collarbone. Mari watched his dark eyes drift back to her. "Even after you leave the gang life, you'll find that it never leaves you."

Mari tried not to scoff. That was a phrase she was very well acquainted with.

"Don't talk too loud." She added. "Lina might be eavesdropping."

He looked up at the staircase, then sighed. "Does she always drop by like this?"

"No. She is scared of the rain, so she always drops by whenever it does." Mari rolled her eyes. "She lives with her boyfriend, but yet she still loves to bother me."

She watched a smile form across Jae's lips, she was partially confused.

"Well that's good. I guess I'll have to come by when the weather is better then."

He turned to go put on his shoes. Mari raised her brows, surprised. So there was a second time?

She bit her lip. This felt a little strained, because she knew she was definitely holding herself back from doing anything. Mari was scared. The last time she really dwelt in her feelings hadn't ended very well. Who's to say Jae wasn't any different from the other?

She couldn't say. Her eyes watched him put on his shoes. Jae might not be any different.

But, he could be different. She didn't know what to make of him sometimes. He still confused her a lot. She wasn't sure if Jae was his real name. All she understood was that only people close to him, or those he trusted knew his real name. If that didn't mean anything...

"Make sure no one else is here the next time I drop by." He added, ruffling his wet hair. Mari looked back to him, only able to catch his last few words.

"Oh, um yeah. Of course." She reopened the door, leaning against the frame.

"Drive safely."

Jae looked at her face one more time, then nodded, heading out of the house. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she was obviously bothered by something.