xix.

xix. FOUND

THERE was still a stinging sensation on her collarbone, Mari felt her fingers touch the now inked pattern laying there. It was their tattoo. A set of Korean letters, forming a sentence of their saying.

Mari chose to get a small set of flying birds underneath the print, adding her own touch to it.

"Tattoo looks amazing." Heejin chimed, grinning at Mari. The girl sat across from her, lounging comfortably. "You look like an Asian version of that one girl from Divergent."

"Tris?" Mari recalled, then shrugged. "Thank you, I guess. It hurts like a bitch though."

It had been a while since she got a tattoo.

"Which is normal." Heejin said, her hands twiddling mindlessly with the phone in her hands. "You're probably wondering why I'm in such a good mood today."

"I am, actually." Mari arched an eyebrow, allowing a small smile to slip. "What's the occasion?"

"Mr. Bang, our mysterious boss," She explained. "has an interesting mission for the whole of our department, different than expected. Usually we stick within the confinements of locating a target and killing them, but this time...we are just locating the target."

"Oh?" Mari leaned forward. "Who's the target?"

"They call her the heir, but everyone here knows her as the Chinese Mafia Princess. It's not everyday that we get a request from the Golden Dragon, the Chinese mafia, to help them. Quite rare, because they tend to do everything themselves. They're amazing."

Mari glanced away, trying not to scoff. Amazing. Really?

"The princess' name is Kei Xiaoling. The leader of the Golden Dragon expects that she's living here in Seoul. Our job is to find her, whether it be dead or alive, but preferably alive."

Heejin kept talking about the mission, but Mari wasn't paying attention anymore. Eight years, almost nine, of bliss. Temporary, of course, but she didn't think her disappearance from the throne would last so short. And she hated that.

All of it was slowly coming back to haunt her. Like the lurking whispering shadows of her nightmares, more and more of it was returning to a reality. And it was a shame, because she was just about to start letting people back into her life again.