FIFTY FIVE

Norman Osborn never hated someone more than he did Peter Parker

He almost had him- had those cops not gotten in the way, or even if his aim was a little better.

But, no.

He escaped- and he took his children with him.

After the big fight in Times Square came the biggest betrayal of all: Captain Stacy arriving at their home with the means to arrest him after getting a tip from Gwen and Spider-man.

But unluckily for them, Norman had already left his home, it being a little too empty for his liking since the twins left.

And while he was on the run, he found himself unable to get the entire thing out of his mind.

He didn't know whether it was the drugs or just the pure anger he was feeling in that moment but he felt like he had to do something- anything to get his kids back... even if it meant doing something he truly didn't want to do.

After watching them in secret for some time, Norman figured out two things.

One: Astrid and Harry were both really upset with him.

Two: They loved their friends more than anything and as for Peter Parker, he could do no harm in their eyes.

At first, Norman thought telling Harry that Peter was Spider-man might get mistrust in the way but when he saw Harry hugging Peter sans mask after he managed to save a bus full of people, he knew that was out of the way.

Next, Norman just wanted to get it done with and end Peter Parker's life but then he remembered Astrid's words and that being the reason the kids left anyway so he stopped himself.

In the end, he really thought there was nothing else to do and he lost his kids forever.

He felt ashamed, he felt like he let down his kids- he let down his beloved wife who he swore to that he would protect them.

And it definitely didn't help that he was seeing her everywhere now- but that was most definitely a side effect of the drugs, not that he would be admitting it anytime soon.

"You promised me Norman," she stood behind him arms crossed as he watched the twins leaving the school on their last day surrounded by their friends, "You promised me you would keep them safe yet-"

"You don't think I know that?! What you think I chose this Emily?"

"I think you could've had this all handled- had you killed that spider."

"Killing him wouldn't have solved a thing," he sighed as he watched Peter put his arm around Astrid, "Our daughter loves him."

"What like I loved you? You think that's what she deserves? To die for love?"

Norman flinched at the thought, "Yo-you didn't die because of me."

"No, I died because I trusted you that you would keep me safe yet you couldn't do that one thing and when you're close to finding a cure for our children from the sickness you gave them, you fuck it all up and instead turn yourself into a maniac-"