FIFTY

Astrid was deep into thought, staring down at her coffee the next morning for school, not even catching her father walking in and stopping short when he saw her

He smiled to himself though and made his way over to her, "Mind if I steal some coffee?"

Astrid jumped slightly at the sudden voice by her side, surprised to see her dad standing there.

For a while now he had skipped breakfast entirely and was always at work by the time the twins woke up.

Yet now here he was, it couldn't be a coincidence.

"Sure and um... I was actually wondering if I could go to work with you today."

"Sure, no problem," Norman shrugged as he fixed his coffee.

"Really?" Astrid looked hopeful.

"Yeah, in fact, why don't you just drop out of school entirely? I'm sure Midtown won't mind."

"Ha ha," she rolled her eyes playfully.

"You can spend the day with me at work after school. How does that sound?"

"Sounds great," Astrid smiled, already counting that as a win since her father wasn't trying to distance himself.

"Good- I'll send you a car to pick you up."

"Thanks dad."

"No problem- hey how is Peter, by the way?"

Astrid felt her heart drop at the sound of his name, fearing the worst.

What if he found out Peter was Spider-man?

Still, she couldn't make it obvious just how nervous she was. Even if he was her dad and she trusted that he could not be the Green Goblin, she still had to be careful- for Peter's sake.

"He's good. He um... he's been really focused on that internship of his."

"Oh, well as long as he doesn't neglect you," Norman said, only to laugh moments later, "Who am I kidding? That boy cares about you too much to ever do you any harm. Did I ever tell you about that dinner of ours?"

"No," Astrid grew interested, surprised that she forgot to question the two further about the dinner at all.

"Well, your boy basically told me off. Told me to watch myself and my health- and not even for me but for you and your brother."

"He did?"

"Yeah, apparently he cares very much for your wellbeing- can't say he's the only one though... you know I care about you very much, right?"

"Of course I do dad," she smiled softly, "And I care about you. Which is why... if something was wrong, you'd tell me, right?"

"Yes. Of course! But- Why would anything be wrong?"