Prologue - Edited

Start from the beginning

The Goddess appeared for a moment just above her, murmuring, "I'm sorry," before sending a ball of white light directly into Ava's chest. 

The Goddess watched as Ava begun to shake and seize as the light encompassed her whole body. The darkness behind Ava began to cackle softly until the Goddess left the lake. 

A dark mist circled the girl once, then twice, it's smile twisted and cruel. 

"She gives you light. I give you darkness and power!" The darkness sneered. 

Ava began to cry as both powers overtook her small body. As the power infusion died down, her body stopped seizing. She hung there, thirty-feet under the icy water, suspended by light and darkness.  Unconscious, Ava fell into a restless slumber. 

***** 

The siren sounded loud across the pack grounds. Two packs woke to the desperate cry from the Luna of the Silver Light Pack, Erys. The Alpha hurried after his wife, calling in his trackers to meet him in the centre of pack lands close to the training fields where a larger group could gather comfortably.

The packs greatest trackers were tasked to find the Luna's eight-year-old daughter, Ava. Ava was an adventurous, independent and rambunctious girl who knew the pack lands like the back of her hand. But that was only in the daytime; the time was now close to 3AM in the morning. The elders feared what would happen to girl of only eight-years-old in this cold. 

As pack members shifted into their wolf forms, they hurried through the pack lands looking for Ava, trying to follow the fading scent left by a small child only hours ago. The scent had faded so much that the pack could only pick it up only faintly. 

Don and Erys, Ava's parents, came together for one last time, hopeful, but the look on their faces said it all. Don held his wife trying to calm her, but her worry began to seep through to him, which agitated and angered his wolf. He didn't like this feeling and tried to block it from absorbing into him too much so that he could think clearly and lead the packs.

Erys' breathing quickened, her panic rising in her throat with every moment that her daughter had not been found. Her husband had turned to her repeatedly, telling her in an urgent, hushed tone that everything was going to be alright. It was something he had to tell his wife to keep his own emotions in check. He couldn't show how panicked he really was, not to a pack that relied on him.

"She's here! We found her!" A man said out of the dark.

Don and Erys sprinted to the edge of the riverbank where the wolves had begun to congregate. Don could see the two men who were lifting his daughter - one at her shoulders and the other at her feet - out of the water and further up the bank, trying not to jostle her neck and spine. Something seemed to be weighing his daughter down; it should not take two fully grown werewolves to carry his small daughter out of the lake.

"She's not breathing! Why isn't she breathing?!" Erys hissed, as she hurried over to the two men and checked her daughter's breathing and pulse.

The packs doctor pushed the Luna out of the way gently and leaned down to check the young girls breathing. He put one hand, with just his fingers applying pressure to the girl's chest and started compressions.

He checked the girl's breathing again and continued with the compressions. We will not lose you tonight, Ava!

The packs watched the doctor as he worked to bring life back to the young girl. Moments later, Ava started to cough up water. The doctor turned her swiftly to her side so that she could expel the rest of the water out through her mouth. He kept her on her side for a few more moments before he let her mother come and wrap her in a hug.