Late night call (Tony X Reader)

Without thinking, you reach over and snatch your phone off your bedside table. You lazily slide it open and press the phone to your ear. "Hello?" You mumble as you shift to sit up.

"(Y/N). Thank God you answered."

You furrow your eyebrows as you check the time on your alarm clock. It was close to 4. "Who's this?" You ask. The first thing going through your head is that someone in your family is hurt and being rushed to a hospital. You're only expecting the worst.

"Can't even recognize my voice. That's a disappointment."

You let a sigh, tipping your head back to hit the wall. "Tony."

"Hey, first try."

"What are you doing, Tony?" You quietly ask.

"Uh, actually that's what I was calling to ask you. What are you doing right now? 'Cause I'm in Malibu and there's no one here and I was thinking--"

"No. We've been over this." You say, cutting him off. You and Tony had broken up nearly three months ago now. You were sick of him constantly drinking and acting like he was some bachelor. It was like he was living some disgusting college fantasy with all the girls he had over and all the drunken nights. He had never cheated on you with any of those girls or anyone at all, you just couldn't stand them around all the time.

"I wanna go back over it. I think I can argue that I've changed as a person." He says. You stay quiet, wanting to know what he could possibly mean by that. "In case you haven't been watching the news, I'm now the first company completely run by renewable energy."

"That's great news." You says, rubbing your eyes. "But that has nothing to do with why I ended things."

"You said I needed to change. I think that helping the environment is a huge step in showing how much I care because, trust me, it's way cheaper to just use--"

"I didn't mean it like that, Tony." You cut off, slightly irritated. "I meant with our relationship. You needed to change some of your ways before I would consider going back out with you."

"Now, (Y/N), you know that it's very rude to ask people to change themselves. People should embrace who they are and what they like." He says. There's a long silence following as you think through what to say.

"How much have you had to drink tonight?"

You can hear him stuttering an answer but you can't care to listen.

"Damn it, Tony." You spit, making him silent. "There's a few reasons I ended things and your drinking was one of them. I don't care if you occasionally drink, but I hate dealing with it 24/7."

"I don't drink 24/7." He argues. "This is the first I've drank any alcohol in almost two months. Do you realize how hard it's been for me? See, I've been doing this for you! I'm trying, I really am."

You're quiet, taking in what he's just confessed. You had no idea he was actually attempting to stop. "What made you drink tonight?" You softly ask.

He lets out a breathy sigh.

You close your eyes, able to picture him pacing around his lab while he runs his fingers through his dark hair. "You did." He mumbles.

"Hmm?" You ask, curious.

"It's you. You're the reason I'm drinking tonight." He says. "I--I saw your picture in my contacts and I don't know, I just lost it." He stutters.

"Oh, Tony." You coo.

"I don't even know what happened. I just remember getting the key from the safe and not being to control my drinking. I could only think of you and your adorable laugh and your pretty eyes." He rambles. As he goes on, you can hear him trying to keep everything together. "I just miss you so much, (Y/N)."

"Tony, I miss you too." You reply. Truly, you do. You're in love with him but you had to end things in order to save your sanity. It had nothing to do with how he treated you or your connection. In fact, your connection was what mostly made the breakup unbearable.

You two just clicked. There was no specific reason or logical explanation. I mean, he's some playboy, billionaire genius. You were none of those things. You had always seen yourself settling down with some boy next door. Instead, you had fallen in love and longed for a man who's none of those things.

He's kind.

He's generous.

He's sweet.

He's adorable.

He's yours.

Many people think that you only went out with him for his money or fame. Others used to jab you with comments implying you weren't good enough for him. But none of that matters to you. You don't care how much money he has or the name he's made for himself.

You love him for that cute smirk he gives you after teasing you.

You love him for the way he always make time for you in his busy schedule.

You love the way he gives your hand a squeeze when he's nervous.

You love the annoying nicknames he gives you after you embarrass yourself.

You love everything about him.

Not his money.

Not his fame.

Him.

"(Y/N), please. Give me another chance." He says. Even though you can't see him, you know he's crying. You can feel the pain he's giving off and your heat is aching. You long to be able to hold him and tell him it'll be okay.

"No more drinking?" You ask, running your hands on your blanket.

"No more drinking."

"No more girls?"

"No more girls."

"And my toast?" You softly chuckle.

"Slightly burnt." He laughs.

"Then yes. I'm ready to give you another chance." You say, feeling a warmth spread down your arms and legs from your heart. You feel butterflies floating in your stomach as he begins ramble about how much he's changed in his Malibu house.

"I can't wait to see it." You smile.

"I can't wait to see you." He says, making your cheeks heat up.

"When are you coming to get me?" You ask, twirling your hair around your finger.

"As soon as possible."

"So, noon then?" You chuckle. "'Cause I wanna sleep in now that you've interrupted my slumber."

"Perfect. I'll get you at noon and give you the most fabulous lunch you've ever had."

"Sounds like a plan." You say. "See you soon, Tony."

"Sweet dreams, (Y/N)." He ends.

~~~~~~~~~~