Criminal (Steve X Reader)

You glance over your shoulder as you shove the rest of your belongings into your suitcase. You want to be out of here before he arrives. You know it's a terrible way to leave things, but you can't deal with the confrontation.

You won't be able to leave if you stare into those blue eyes.

"(Y/NN)?" He asks, making you jump.

You look over at the doorway, only able to see his silhouette. The room is dark and the light in the hallway cast a dark gloom over his body. "What are you doing?" He asks, stepping into the room.

"What are you doing back so early?" You ask as the door clicks shut behind him.

"You didn't answer my question." He says now just a few steps away from you. You quicken your packing, not caring if it's a jumbled mess. You just have to go before the tears start.

"Well, what does it look like I'm doing?" You say, pushing past him. You flick on the light in the bathroom, shoving your stuff into your small makeup bag. You glance up into the mirror, your eyes meeting his confused blue ones.

"Why are you packing? We aren't leaving until tomorrow night." He says.

"Because, Steve." You say, flipping around. You lean against the bathroom sink, feeling the bottom of your shirt getting damp. "I can't deal with this anymore." You lightly scoff. You gesture to him, tumbling over your words. "It's just too much. I need space."

"What are you saying?" He asks, stepping closer to you. "Is there something I'm doing wrong? Am I overbearing? Or-- Or too stubborn? I can fix it. I really can try."

"No. It's not that." You say, shaking your head. You can already feel the tears pooling in your eyes.

"Then what is it? What am I doing wrong?" He insists, growing upset.

"It has nothing to do with you." You say, your voice rising.

"Then why are you leaving?" He asks, his voice growing louder as well.

"Because I can take this anymore!" You exclaim, tossing your arms in the air. "I can't take this moving from one crappy hotel to the next! Every night, you're gone on some mission while I'm left here alone. After a few days, we do the same thing except at a new location."

"It's not my fault. When they signed the accords--"

"I don't care what the damn accords say, Steve." You growl, glaring at him. "This has nothing to do with that."

"This has everything to do with that." He argues, towering over you. "Those accords made what we were doing a crime. If we hadn't done what we did, Bucky would be dead."

"You don't know that."

"You weren't there, (Y/N), when they said that they would fire on sight." He presses. "Sam and I spent months searching for him. We hit dead end after dead end. Nothing. It was like he had completely disappeared off the face of the earth. Then the bombing happened and Zemo and--"

"I know, Steve." You cut off, your jaw locked tight.

"Then you know why we had to do what we had to do. We couldn't just let them kill Bucky." He says, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Okay." You say, glancing up into his blue eyes. His eyebrows are furrowed deep and the muscles in his neck are tense. "But none of that has to do with why I'm leaving."

"Then why are you?"

You let out a sigh, looking at his feet. "Because I can't take being alone anymore. I don't want to be a fugitive who spends most of her nights locked in a crappy hotel room." You say. 

He's silent. You feel his hand brush your hair over your shoulder then cup your cheek.

You still can't bring yourself to look at his face.

"It feels like I'm the one being punished even though I didn't commit the crime." You say, trying to hold yourself together. This was why you had to be out of here before he came back. You didn't want to break down like this in front of him.

"(Y/N)." He softly whispers, making goosebumps run up your arms.

"Which is why I have to go." You say, pushing away from him. You grab your makeup bag and rush back to your suitcase. You wipe the tears off your cheeks as you hastily zip your bag shut.

"Please, don't go." He says, chasing after you.

"I have to. For my own sanity, Steve." You say, keeping your head down.

"Please, will you think about this? We need to talk this through."

"There is nothing to talk about, Steve. My mind is made up."

"Where will you go? The tower won't take you back now that I'm considered a criminal." He says as you tie your hair into a bun.

"I've already called my parents. They're expecting me tomorrow afternoon." You say, placing your suitcase on the ground. You begin walking away, but are stopped when he reaches out and grabs your wrist.

"Don't do this."

"Let me go." You quietly demand.

"Please, (Y/N)."

"Steve, enough already."

"Look at me, please." He begs.

You snap your head to look at him. Tears are pooling in his baby blue eyes. His blond hair is tussled and it's clear that his heart's being broken. "Please, don't leave me. I love you. Let just talk this out. We can figure out a way." He pants, obviously trying to hold back his emotions.

"I love you, too." You frown, feeling the pressure building in your eyes. "Which is why you have to let me go. I need to leave."

"No. No." He says, shaking his head.

"Please, Steven. Don't make this any harder for me."

"(Y/N), please. I love you so much." He says, cupping your cheek like he always has.

You lean in, kissing his lips one last time. You pull apart, your faces inches away from each other. "I'll be waiting for you back home." You softly say.

His grip on your wrist loosens. He softly drags his hand down your face as you turn around. You tug your suitcase behind you and exit the room. You let out a sigh, leaning against the door.

This is for the best.

You can't keep living on the run. You need to have a normal life again.

So without turning around, you march your way out of the hotel and to your taxi waiting just outside. You take your plane back to the United States and meet your parents at the airport. Everyday, you wait for a sign from Steve that he's finally returning.

But nothing has given you any hope yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Might do a part 2 to this. Idk though