Brothers (Short Story)

Okay, I made this cause I just love the sweet friendship between Bucky and Steve sooooooooooooooo enjoy!!

Three soft knocks came from the door. Margret wiped her hands on her apron and went to open the door. She had a gut feeling who was on the other side. Gently, she pulled it open, revealing a little boy with soft blonde hair and blue eyes. "Hello." He greeted.

"Good morning, Steve." She smiled, opening the door wider.

"Is Bucky home?" He asked, slightly swaying side to side.

"He actually is. Why don't you come inside and wake him up?" She said, letting him rush past her. She shut the door, chuckling to herself as she heard Steve jump onto Bucky's bed, waking him up.

"Steve! Why'd you do that?"

"Because your mom said I could."

Once the boys were done playing in Bucky's room, they came rushing back into the living room. "Mom, Steve's hungry." Bucky said, pointing to the smaller boy following behind him. His cheeks tinted pink.

"Well, I sure hope so. He's got to eat a lot in order to get big and strong." She smiled, pulling out a few plates. She set them on the table, signaling for the boys to take their seats.

"I wanna be as big as Bucky." Steve said, climbing onto his chair.

Margret laughed, bringing lunch to the table. "I'm sure you will." She said, beginning to dish them up. "But Bucky doesn't like his vegetables, which makes all little boys grow big and strong."

"I used to not like vegetables. Now I do." Bucky clarified to Steve. Margret just hummed. Strange, he wouldn't even touch them last night. Suddenly, he just couldn't get enough.

After the two boys had eaten their fill, they wanted to go outside. There were plenty of other children in the neighborhood. They played many games in the alleys and around town. It wasn't uncommon to see a group of boys just playing in the street.

"We're gonna go outside." Bucky called out as the two boys put on their shoes.

"Okay, be safe." Margret replied. Just as the door was beginning to close, she reached out, grabbing Bucky's shoulder. "Remember to watch out for Steve. He looks up to you and you need to keep him safe."

"I know, Mom. I won't let him do anything stupid." He waved away.

"Or anything stupid happen to him." She said, her tone a bit harsher.

"I know, I know. I'll watch him." Bucky nodded, rolling his eyes. "Goodbye." He said before shutting the door.

"What should we do first?" Steve asked as they hopped down the stairs, the metal clicking with each landing. His hand could barely reach the railing, but he made it work to keep him steady

"I don't know. Maybe there's a ball game going on." Bucky said, waiting at the bottom.

"Will I have to sit and watch again?"

"I don't know. I think George went to visit his grandmother. There might be an opening." Bucky said as they began to walk to the alley where they usually played.