Will We Ever Met Again? (Short Story)

A quiet knock echoes from the door.

Strange. Usually nobody is home, so they never expect guests at this time of day. The kids are usually at school and her and Daniel are at work. She had decided
to come home for lunch today to escape for a little while. Work was getting to be a little tense between everyone.

She stands up from her seat at the table and slowly walks to answer the door. She doesn't see anyone's car outside. She's cautious as she opens it, unsure what to expect. Her heart beats out of her chest as her eyes scan the man standing on her doorstep. "Steve?" She asks.

"Peggy." He smiles. "I was afraid you wouldn't be home."

"Oh, Steve. I-I thought you were dead." She stutters as tears pool in her eyes. Is this really her Steve standing in front of her? This must be some illusion or trick of some sort. This couldn't be him.

"Not hardly. Just a little, well, frozen." He chuckles, ruffling his hair. "Mind if come in?" He asks.

She doesn't say anything. She opens the door wider and makes room for him to enter. He quietly walks in and lets her shut the door. She shakes her head as she wipes her tears from her cheeks. "You went down with the plane. This can't possibly be you." She cries.

"It's really me. It's me, Peggy." He says. He pulls her close to him, making her eagerly hug him. She lays her head on his chest, her sobs shaking her body as she clings to his shirt.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, looking up into his blue eyes, which are also brimming with tears.

"Well, I couldn't leave my best girl. Not when she owes me a dance." He smiles, making her laugh and melt into him.

"Oh, Steve. I've missed you so much. Everyone has. Howard was going to go looking for you." She says. "Where have you been? How is this possible?" She adds, letting go but leaving her hands on his waist.

"It's hard to explain, but I can only be here for a little while." He frowns.

"Why?" She begs, pouting. "You just got here. You can't leave me. Not again."

"I don't want to go." He says, running his hand through her hair. She leans against his hand, closing her eyes in bliss. "If anyone finds out I did this, I'll be in big trouble as it is. I can't stay."

"But why? Please, Steven." She demands. "I just need answers." She quietly adds.

He lets out a long sigh. "It's gonna sound crazy and you have to promise to keep it a secret."

"Of course. My lips are sealed."

"Especially from Howard. I don't want him to get any more crazy ideas."

"I swear, Steve. I won't tell a soul." She declares.

He smiles, slightly shaking his head. "I'm from the future. There's like all these other heroes like me. Some have powers that are indescribable and others use technology that I can't even begin to understand. I made a promise to go back and return these stones that saved the world but I had to make one quick stop." He explains. "I had to see you one last time." He whispers.

"That does sound crazy." She says. "But then again, so was the idea of putting super serum into a man who was shorter than me." She teases with a laugh. He chuckles, a blush forming on his cheeks.

They stare into each other's eyes for a long time. Just being in each other's presence is enough for them. Their last conversation buzzes in Steve's head as he leans forward and kisses her forehead. He wanted to kiss her lips, but knew she was married. "I believe you still owe me a dance." He smiles.