Cyclone (Short Story)

"Don't worry, Mom. Bucky will be with me the whole time." Steve said as he tucked the newspapers into his shoes. They were a bit big for him, but adding the paper in the toe made them a lot easy to wear.

"I don't want to hear that you boys got into any trouble." She said, standing above him watching. A soft knock came from the door then was quietly opened. "Good morning, Bucky."

"Good morning." He greeted back, stepping in. He looked down, watching Steve jump to his feet. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah." He smiled. He looked over his shoulder as they rushed out the door. "Bye, Mom!"

"Goodbye, boys." She said with a soft wave. She then rushed to the door, grabbing it and sticking her head out. "And behave boys. Steven, I don't want to hear about you and any fights!"

"Don't worry about it, Sarah. I'll keep a close eye on the kid. I won't let him do anything stupid." Bucky grinned, grabbing Steve and rubbing his knuckles into his skull.

Steve laughed, shoving him off then chased Bucky down the stairs. They raced to the train station, hoping to make it right on time. Thankfully, they arrived right as the train was pulling up.

xxx

When they arrived at Coney Island, it was clear that they weren't the only people who thought today would be a great day to spend at the boardwalk. Everyone had to shuffle through the crowd to get were they going.

"So, what are we going to do first?" Steve asked, following right behind Bucky.

"There's this sweet ride I wanna try out." Bucky said. "Daniel rode it last week and was bragging about it in school."

"What's it like?"

"It's really cool. It's got all these windy twists and turns and it goes super fast. You'd like it at night." Bucky said, gently hitting Steve's chest.

"Why's that?"

"At night they turn on the lights. They flash and brighten the whole boardwalk." Bucky smiled, talking with his hands.

"Too bad we won't get to see the lights. We're supposed to be back in time for supper." Steve said, with a soft sigh, looking around.

"Yeah." Bucky sighed, slightly frowning. "But hey, at least we can play the carnival games." He said, pointing to a few stands decorated with attractive noises and prizes.

"Step right up! See if you have what it takes to win a prize for your lovely date!" One of the vendor declared, showcasing the prizes behind him. "You two boys want to try and see if you can beat me and win one of these prizes?" He asked.

"You're on." Bucky said, pulling out some change and throwing it on the counter.

"Thank you, my boy." He smiled, taking the change. He looked over at Steve. "Would you like to play?"

Steve glanced over at Bucky then shrugged his shoulder. "I guess it won't hurt to try." He said, pulling out some money.

The vendor rolled each of them three baseballs. Bucky threw the first one, just barely missing the glass bottle. Steve followed his example, trying to mimic his movements but failed. They each took turns, getting closer and closer but never hitting a bottle.

"Ooo. So close." The vendor said, shaking his head. He held up three more baseballs. "Wanna try again?" He asked with a soft smirk.