3 Hour Delay (Steve X Reader)

You were quietly sitting in the airport, glancing out the window. The wind was picking up and it seemed like the snow was coming down harder than ever before. It was safe to assume that you weren't going to make it back home for Christmas.

You sigh, whipping out your phone and turning around. You start walking to a quieter part, without glancing up. You were used to people just dodging you and sending dirty glares, but for once you run into something.

You look up, thinking you had made a fool of yourself and ran into a wall, but it happened to be a person. "Sorry." You breath, looking into his blue eyes.

"It's all good. My fault." He says with a smile.

You feel yourself blush as you smile and lift your shoulders to go around him. You glance over your shoulder, seeing him taking a spot on a bench alone. You quickly call your mom, explaining the weather situation to her.

After the whole story and what had recently happened in your life, you finally ended the call with her. You walk back to your terminal, assuming that every seat was taken, but there was one spot left by him.

You quietly slide in beside him, looking at your phone. You were swiping through your Instagram feed, pretending to be interested in what people were posting, but you were actually taking glances at him.

His blond hair was covered by a blue baseball cap. His muscles were practically ripping through his shirt and he seemed to be struggling to operate his phone. You shrug it off to him getting a new one.

Just as you were sneaking another glance, his blue eyes meet yours again. "Can you help me?" He asks, making your heart jump out of your chest. You thought he was going to yell at you to quit staring.

"Um, yeah. Sure." You stutter back, taking the phone from his rough hands. "What do you need help with?"

"I'm trying to send this photo to a group chat but it doesn't seem to want to send." He explained, tapping on a photo. You knew you shouldn't be snooping, but you couldn't help but to take a few seconds to look at it. It was a photo of some files that you could hardly read. Must be for his work.

"You just have to tap these three dots." You begin explaining as he looks over your shoulder. You feel yourself blushing as you continue, your voice slightly wavering the more you went on. By the time you had sent the photo, you thought he could see your shaking hands.

"Thanks." He smiled, taking back his phone and stuffing it in his back pocket. "Ya know, I never did catch a name."

"It's (Y/N)." You smile, grabbing his hand to shake.

"Steve." He nods. He glances over his shoulder. "I'm guessing we won't be leaving for a while."

You look over your shoulder, looking out the window. "Yeah. My mom wasn't too happy with the news of me missing Christmas."

He turns and rests his arm on the back of the bench, looking at you. "Stupid Mother Nature. Always ruining everything." He tsks, shaking his head.

"Eh, it's alright. We don't have anything planned the first two days anyways." You wave away with a smile.

There was a loud beep and you both glanced upwards. "Flight to Newark Liberty International Airport has been delayed for 3 hours." They declare. You both look at each other and give a soft sigh.

"Well," Steve says, grabbing his bag. "Should we get something to eat?"

You're taken back. He was inviting you to go get something to eat with him? This was a total surprise. "Um, yeah. I'm starving." You say, scrambling to grab your bags.

You walk over to the cafeteria, taking a seat at one of the tables. Millions of different thoughts were running through your head. Do you consider this a date? Did you really have to wear your overused sweatshirt today? Was he always sitting this close? You probably smell terrible.

"What would you like to drink?" He asks, glancing up from the menu.

"A coke is fine." You reply. He gives a soft smile, slightly arching one of his eyebrows. "With whiskey." You add with a smirk.

He chuckles and looks back down. You feel your cheeks heat up as you look into your own menu.

Once you had felt yourself calm down again, you set down your menu. You figure you should try to make some small talk. "So, where are you from?" You ask.

"Brooklyn." He smiles. "You?"

"Manhattan." You say. Just as he was about to ask a question, a waitress comes over and takes both of your orders. Once she leaves, he looks back over at you.

"What do you do for a living?" He asks.

"Nothing huge. I'm an accountant at a small office a couple blocks from my apartment." You shrug. When you went to school for accounting, you thought you would get some fancy company, not something that could hardly pay the bills. You would know since you literally work with the money.

"Yeah. My line of work isn't exactly huge either." He chuckles. "I wear this goofy outfit to fight criminals."

"So you're like the guy parents invite for birthday parties?" You ask with a smile.

"Well, um. Not really." He says, slightly scrunching his face and tilting his head. "I like to think my job is a little more, well, special than that."

You furrow you eyebrows, looking at his face. Once you look closer, everything seems to just click. His name and the job description. I mean, how did you not connect the pieces?

You open your mouth, about to ask, but he shakes his head and cuts you off. "I really don't need everyone in the airport asking for autographs right now." He says. You bit on your lip, nodding your head.

"I'm guessing you don't get to go out in public often without a crowd." You chuckle, looking down.

He shakes his head with a laugh. "Yeah. Not usually." He says.

The food couldn't arrive at a more perfect moment. You didn't know how to keep the conversation going without making it feel forced. You also didn't want to make him think you liked just because he was Captain America. Sure, it was great, but you liked him before that.

You both finish the meal quietly and stand up to head back to the terminal. He pays the bill and begins walking back with you. You know you have to say something. "For the record, just because you're Captain America that doesn't change the way I see you."

A smile appears on his face. "Good. I was afraid it might."

"Where are you sitting?" You ask, pulling out your pass.

"12B. Why?"

You smile, waving yours. "12A."

He chuckles, his blue eyes meeting yours. "Glad I get to sit next to someone so pretty." He flirts, making your cheeks heat up. You look at the ground, slightly swinging your bag.

"Flight to Newark Liberty International Airport is now boarding."

"That's us." He grins, leading the way. You follow behind him, your heart beating out of your chest. At least you didn't have to worry about sitting next to some creepy stranger. You just had to worry about not embarrassing yourself in front of Steve. Which, if your nerves would stop, should be simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~