Zoe's Story. (Chapter Eight)

"I want to take you out."

I looked at him, folding my arms. "Are you just saying that because I've been a little moody?"

"Um, no..."

"Jace."

"What? Is it a crime for me to want to take my mate out?"

"I sense ooey-gooey," Riley said, sauntering out of the room quickly.

"No," I mumbled.

He tipped my head up. "Hey, hey. Enough of that."

I looked him in the eyes. He looked at me, those huge green eyes shining.

"He's going to be fine. You're not that pretty."

I glared at him. He cracked a smile. "I'm kidding. A joke, see?"

I just continued to glare, even though his close promiscuity was making it slightly harder to breath. As if he could sense it, he smiled and leaned closer, softly putting his lips to mine. I sighed, feeling instantly better, and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Jace, I need to speak with you in private."

He just about jumped across the room, staring wide eyed in mortification at my dad. I just started cracking up. Jace gave me a 'wtf' face and nodded, clearing his throat and rubbing his forehead with one hand. I noticed he did that whenever he was nervous. "Yes sir."

"Five minutes."

He left, but not without a wink at me. I had to stifle my laughter again.

"What's so funny!?!" Jace asked in exasperation. I giggled. "Your face when my dad interrupted."

He shook his head at me. "Mabe that was fun for you, but for me..."

He walked over and collapsed on the bed beside me. I curled up next to him. He kissed me on the forehead. "I'd better go and see what your dad wants. And then I have to go out."

"Where?" I asked, rolling to face him.

"To set up our date, Zo."

"Can I come?"

"What do you think?"

"Yes?"

"NO."

"Kill joy. I hate surprises."

"You'll love mine." He pecked me on the lips and got up. "Dress like you'd normally dress."

*

"He said WHAT!?!" Kyle yelled.

"To dress like I normally would. So I am."

I twirled a little. He shook his head and put it in his hands, groaning. "God, they're both hopeless."

"What? What is it?" I asked.

"JEANS!?!"

"Um, yeah. Why?"

I thought I looked perfectly fine. Jeans and a t-shirt, which is what I'd USUALLY wear. But my uncle looked kind of like I'd just shot him in the foot.

"Kyle, leave Zoe alone. She looks perfectly fine." My mom said, walking into the room.

"Puhlease." He scoffed. "You're just saying that because you have the fashion sense of a gnat. For god's sake, Zoe! At least put on some skinny jeans!"

"I like boot cut." I frowned at him.

He huffed and puffed and we just watched him. Riley came in and sat down next to where I was standing. "Why's the big guy looking like he's about to blow my house down?"