Initiation pt.1

Ruby:

I was not ready.

Professor Ozpin took a sip from his coffee "For years you have trained to become warriors, and today your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald forest." we were on Beacon cliff for initiation.

Ms. Goodwitch was next to him "Now, I'm sure many of you have heard the rumors of the assignment of teams. Well, let us put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates...today" she said.

"What aw..." I murmured. I really hoped I was with at least one of the MPC. Professor Ozpin then continued "These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well." 'Oh no' I thought "That being said the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next 4 years." he finished and I felt like fainting.

"What!?" I exclaimed but no one seemed to hear me "See? I told you!" said Nora. She'd been telling Ren all morning about the team/partners rumor. Professor Ozpin continued "After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest, you will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path, or you will die". I looked to my sides. Jaune laughed nervously and Nora seemed very chipper about this comment.

"You will be monitored and graded for the duration of your initiation" Ozpin looked at Ms. Goodwitch "But our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned Tempel at the end of the forest containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing and grade you properly. Are there any questions?"

Jaune raised his hand "Yeah, um sir-?" Professor Ozpin cut him off "Good! Now, take your positions." I readied myself and saw the rest of the students do the same. Jaune still had a question though "Uh...Sir, I've got a question" the first one to be catapulted was the girl in black I'd seen yesterday.

Weiss was catapulted next "So this landing strategy thing uh, w-what is it?" obviously not paying attention to Nora now being thrown off the cliff, he continued "You're like dropping us off or something?" Jaune asked. Emerald soared past Nora as professor Ozpin responded "No. You will be falling." he said. Ren went next. Jaune scratched his head "Oh, I see. So, like, did you hand out parachutes for us?" Neo was catapulted.

"No. You will be using your own landing strategy" said Professor Ozpin. Mercury was thrown off "Woohoo!" he cheered. Before getting catapulted a girl in Red with golden armor turned to us "Good luck!" she said while smiling then flew off the cliff. Now it was just Oscar, Jaune, and me plus the teachers.

Before getting catapulted Oscar snapped his finger three times 'Mockingbird signal' I thought. It was one of team STRQ's codes. Everyone seemed to notice it too. Ms. Goodwitch paid no attention to it, Jaune raised an eyebrow at him, and Professor Ozpin looked kind of surprised but then intrigued.

I looked at Oscar, smiled, and nodded. He then proceeded to be thrown off the cliff. Jaune continued talking "So um, what exactly is a landing strategy-!" too late he was already soaring through the sky. I crouched a bit down and put my left hand on Cresent Rose then I was flying through the skies.

***

Using ammo and my semblance I landed knowing what to do. Wait for the signal. The 'Mockingbird' plan was whistling in a series of tunes and the Mockingbirds on the trees will answer. (A/N: yes I got this from the Hunger games) A low tune, two higher tunes, and then another low tune.

I was wandering around until I suddenly heard it. The birds on the trees all sang along to the tune which meant-

"Hello," I turned and made eye contact with Oscar. I chuckled "Hey"

***

Emerald:

Once I was thrown off the side of the cliff I managed to pierce one of my hooks on a tree and rappelled down to the solid ground. I brought my other hook back down and started walking. Suddenly I heard shuffling and a growl come from behind the bushes.

I spun my strings and aimed for the spot but missed whatever was behind it. Then laughs started coming from the bush, I knew that laughter "You idiot!" I exclaimed, "I could've killed you!". Mercury came out from the bushes and we made eye contact "Aw don't be a buzz kill...partner"

I rolled my eyes, retracted my hooks, and beckoned him to follow.

***

Ozpin:

"Professor Ozpin, we may have a problem" informed my second in command. I turned towards her "What seems to have had happened?" then she showed me a video on her tablet concerning Neo Politan, Nora Valkyrie, and Lie Ren. Oh dear.

***

Nora:

Getting catapulted was now on my 'Top ten things-to-do twice before I die' list. It was super fun! If you count out the risk of plummeting to the ground and getting flattened like a pancake. I wandered around knowing I had to get a partner before heading to the northern end. I heard some noises from behind and turned.

Ren jumped out from the trees on my right, I looked at him in the eyes but he wasn't looking at me. He was looking at Neo in the eyes who had jumped out from my left. But Neo wasn't looking at him, she was looking at my eyes.

I had made eye contact with Ren but he had done it with Neo, but Neo was staring at me. We looked back and forth "Wait, what?" I asked. Ren sighed "We all made eye contact at the same time" I raised an eyebrow "Is that even possible!?"

"Apparently" he answered. We shrugged it off and decided to deal with it later while making our way north.

***

Ruby:

"Just admit it, you don't know where we're going," I said "No, no I know" assured Oscar. I playfully rolled my eyes at him and looked around "Idea!" I exclaimed "Huh?" I pointed to a tall oak tree to our right.

"We can get up there and then we'll have a better view," I said. Oscar scrunched his eyebrows like he always did when he's thinking "Good idea". We started climbing but Oscar was way ahead of me "Os wait up" he helped me up and I was next to him in no time. It's still hard to believe that he got this good at climbing by just spending most of his time on treetops.

We looked around, you could see most of Emerald forest from up here. I squinted my eyes to get a better look and-"There!" I suddenly shouted causing Oscar to almost fall off the tree. I caught his arm on time and pointed at some colorful blobs that must've been people. I sighed "Good we know which way is north and I'm pretty sure that looks like Jaune, but how do we get there?" I asked.

Oscar snorted "Maybe we could ask a Grimm for a ride," he said his voice dripping with sarcasm. Nonetheless, I looked at him and smirked. When he noticed my smirk Oscar groaned "Oh no~".