"It's a trap."

Maya

I tossed and turned all night. I would stare at the ceiling from the comfort of my bed, or I would stare at the wall from the comfort of my bed. There was no resting for me, thanks to my overthinking.

Why did I allow my judgement to be clouded by lust? Lust for a woman.

I had never thought of a woman in any sexual way. I had always found attraction towards men and that was it. Maybe I'm losing it, maybe I'm just missing Robert too much and it's causing me to seek affection elsewhere. And Billie was all and willing.

I decide at this time that there was absolutely no way I'd get sleep, so I wanted to walk downstairs to the kitchen, to see if food will put me in a slumber. I check the time and it reads 5:46 am. I slowly get up out of bed and make my way towards the door of my bedroom.

I walk down the stairs into the corridor to be met with Harold sitting in the island, eating some oatmeal in a bowl.

"Hey kid what are you doing up so early?"

"I could ask you the same question Harold." I glide my way into the fridge to see absolutely nothing that could cure my appetite.

"Well I always wake up around this time, well I wake up at 5."

"Why so early? No one is up at this time."

"That's the point. It's peaceful." Harold chuckles and goes to take another bite of his oatmeal.

"That's a good point." I go to walk out of the kitchen back to my room, but something urged me to ask Harold a question. I walk back into the kitchen.

"Hey Harold?"

"Yeah kid?"

"I have a question. Do you know all of the patients here?" I walked back to the island right across from Harold.

"What do you mean do I know all the patients here?" I walked over to the kitchen cabinet and grabbed a glass.

"I mean did you know any of these patients before coming to this house?" I walk over to the sink and fill my glass up with water.

"More specifically, Billie?" I walk back over the the island, right across from Harold, and take a sip of water from my glass.

"Oh- you have an infatuation with her or something?" When the words came out of his mouth, my water had went down the wrong pipe. I started coughing uncontrollably.

"Are you okay Maya?" Harold came to the other side of the island where I was and patted my back to relieve me. It wasn't helping but I couldn't tell him that.

I coughed once more and wiped my mouth. "Yeah, I'm good. No I don't have an infatuation with Billie, I'm just curious."

"Curious you say? My kind of curious, or yours?" I look up at Harold and rolled my eyes.

"Oh shush." I walk around the island and take a seat in the chair Harold previously sat in before me.