"You don't deserve to be here"

6/20/2022
Maya

"So what is it that Mrs. Mackenzie wants to talk to me about?  Do you know?" Robert and I walk out of my room into the hallway.

"I have an idea.  But I'll let her tell you, she knows better than me."  We walk up to the elevator and Robert pushes the button to motion the elevator up.

"Why can't you just tell me so I know what I'll be getting myself into?"

"I'm just gonna let her tell you, like I said."  I huffed in reply.  I know I'm not gonna get anywhere with this conversation so I leave it.  The elevator reaches to our floor and the elevator door opens, revealing two guards standing in both corners.

"Good evening."  Robert says as we walk into the elevator.  Both guards nod in response.

They're not very chatty.

This feels like deja-vu.

The elevator ride stays silent the whole way and you could feel the tension between the walls.  Not any specific type of tension, just tension in general. 

The elevator dings to the ground floor and the doors slide open. 

Robert says thank you to the guards, of course getting no verbal response just nodding, and we exit out of the elevator.

"They're not very chatty are they?"  Robert looks towards me and gives a slight laugh.

"Not particularly.  You don't remember them when you first got here?"

"Not really.  They didn't leave much of an impression on me I guess."  Robert just nods in response and leaves the conversation at a halt.  This feels very awkward just walking and no talking.  It's very unusual for us to not ever talk, we always talk anytime we walk anywhere. 

We even talked a lot when we first met, when I thought there was something special.

-
"Alright Ms. Rivera you're in-Category 3?"  The nurse that had taken my blood started reading through my records.  Seeing my tendencies, my allergies, my medical history, and a lot of other things in that file that I probably didn't know about.

"I guess so, I really don't know what that means."  Feeling nervous, I start scratching my arm.  I had never been in a place like this, and the vibe creeped me out.  It was terrifying.

"Well in that case you will be on the third floor of the building.  You will have an assigned guard to walk with you at all times-"

"I had never heard of an insane asylum patient having a guard walk with them like a parent."

"Well Ms. Rivera you are a Category 3 and Category 3's don't get the freedom to walk on their own, seeing as they could snap at any moment."

Well I'm not like their other patients, so I don't know what they mean by that.  I nod in response.

"Alright Ms. Rivera your guard is on the other side of that door to escort you to your room."  She stands me up from the chair and walks me out the door.