Diamonds & Pearls (15)-When a Heart Breaks, It Doesn't Break Even

Start from the beginning

       “Zayan, is that you?” Juwayrah asked with a huge smile. I looked over at Zayan and he was frozen, a blush forming on his light brown cheeks.

        “Juwayrah,” He said as if he was dreaming. My brother looked like he was fifteen all over again. I suddenly felt really bad for him. I should have told him before he'd gotten home.

       “It's awesome to see you again. Dude, you've totally grown into a man.” She said, her sing song laughter filling the room. I saw a bright smile slowly spread across Zayan's face. Oh no...the news was going to crush him.

     “Well, I am eighteen years old. Aren't I supposed to look at least a little older?” He replied smugly.

        “Of course, short stuff.” Juwayrah said with a smirk.

       “I'm much taller than you are, how can you still call me that stupid nickname?” He said with a laugh.

        “Well, since I'm two years older, I think I deserve to continue calling you by your nickname. You'll always be short stuff to me, no matter how tall or handsome you get.” She said affectionately. I could almost hear Zayan's heart skipping a beat, I just knew it.

        “I guess I'll let you call me that since you're so special to my heart.” Zayan said sarcastically or at least tried to say sarcastically. As his sister, of course I could hear the meaning in his voice.

        “Aww Zayan, you're still as adorable as you were before.” She said, taking a seat on the sofa. Zayan went to sit across from her on the white cushioned love seat. Meanwhile, Rafiq rushed over to me and I smacked him on arm.

      “Ouch, what was that for?” He asked, holding his arm. My skull pounded and I could feel a headache coming on.

        “Why didn't you keep her back longer?” I protested in panic.

     “I tried my best okay. You know how persistent Juwayrah can be sometimes.” He replied defensively.

        I sighed, rubbing my temple. “I know, sorry for hitting you.”

        “It's okay.” He said with a sigh mirroring my own. “There's nothing else we can really do.” Rafiq said, putting an arm over my shoulder. I nodded knowingly. We made our way to the sofa and sat down as we waited for Juwayrah to finally tell Zayan the news. When I went to get everyone something to drink, my hands were sweating. After fifteen minutes of talking and reminiscing, Juwayrah finally decided to tell break out the big guns.

        “Zayan I'm really glad you're here though.” She said, flashing him the briefest smile. I could see happiness radiating from my brother at her words. “I have some news that I really wanted you to hear as soon as possible. I was really sad when they told me you weren't here.” She pouted and then started grinning as she readjusted herself in her seat. I felt my stomach flip as Rafiq and I looked at each other nervously.

        “Well, what is it? You've got me feeling a little excited now.” Zayan said, taking a sip of water. He held his glass in his right hand, a smirk planted on his face.