Diamonds & Pearls (15)-When a Heart Breaks, It Doesn't Break Even

Start from the beginning

        “I don't know! God, we can't keep it from him. That will be impossible and even more painful for him.” She said in an exasperated tone. “If Zayan's heart gets broken, it's really going to hurt me.”

     “I know, then I'm going to be depressed because you two will be moping around like emotionless  zombies.” I groaned. “Maybe we should just tell him before he gets home from work.”

        “No!” Zayna shouted. I pull the phone away from my ear with a wince.

        “Do you mind sparing my poor ears Zayna?” I mumbled irritably.

       “I'm sorry. Okay here's the plan...there's no plan. He's going to have the same reaction no matter who tells him or how they do.” She sighed. “I wish I was in town, talk about a crappy day to go to New Jersey.”

        “I'm home!” I heard a very familiar male voice shout. I hopped up, having a momentary mini heart attack.

        “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!” I said quickly into the phone.

        “What Daleela?”

        “Zayan is home early. Oh god!” I muttered, pacing back and forth across my room.

        “Daleela, do something!” Zayna said frantically. I made a face at her words.

        “What the heck am I supposed to do?” I asked and then wearily placed a hand to my forehead. “Ya Allah, I'm going to faint, this is too much pressure.”

     “Daleela, you're smart. You'll figure this out.” She responded confidently. “I have to go. I'm hanging up. Salam.”

        I heard a click and I wanted to scream. “Hello? Zayna...Zayna!”

       I threw my phone onto the bed in distress and then tried to focus on the situation at hand. When no plan came to mind, I ended up running downstairs like a mad horse instead. I made it to the bottom just as Juwayrah and Rafiq were leaving the kitchen. He gives me a bunch of unrecognizable hand signs and I frantically moved my arms around pointing to the family room. He face palms himself and then mouthed an I know. He then mouthed the words distract him. I nodded. hoping Rafiq had some kind of genius plan.

        I ran past Juwayrah and into the family room. “Zayan!” I said in a low voice, frantically pushing him back toward the front door. He resisted my feeble attempts to move him.

        “What the heck Daleela, I'm really hungry and don't feel like playing games. Let go.” He said, going back toward the kitchen. “And do we have guests, there are extra shoes laying around?” I grabbed the back of his jacket as a last resort. He turned in annoyance.

        “What are you doing?” Both Zayan and Juwayrah shouted at the same exact moment. I turned and saw Rafiq holding onto Juwayrah's arm. Zayan and Juwayrah turned to look at each other in surprise.