Chapter XII - Part II

Everyone is having lunch quietly, there's always some tension, but now it's more disinterest than tension, even though I am sure a small flame could spread the fire again. I don't see Ophelia and Lee, probably in the infirmary to take care of Lee's wound, so I go sit next to Nick and Alicia, it's also a good way to blend in. I should set the example myself.

"Something weird happened this morning" I state as I lay my tray on the wooden table

"Weirder than this? Is it possible?" Alicia gestures toward the tables, meaning the current atmosphere.

"Troy helped my horse. How's that for weird?"

"Troy likes horses Leyla, and we need them" says Nick, having a bite of meat.

"You heard me when I said my horse, didn't you?" now he looks straight at me, perhaps he didn't get that particular detail.

"Ok, that's weird"

"Don't you like horses, Nick?" I've never seen him ride in here or during the expeditions.

"Yeah, from afar he loves them" Alicia replies, patting his brother's shoulder.

"You're afraid?" now I am smirking too. I can't imagine someone who has endured this harsh world being afraid of horses.

"Of course I am not. I just like keeping my feet on the ground that's all" he looks down, clearly eager to change the subject.

"You must get acquainted with Whisper then, he'd like you" Whisper plays tough with other people but he usually comes around if he understands you're a likeable person. Although I must say he played nice with Troy too, and that's a first for him. We usually are on the same ground and he should have smelled the tension when I'm around him. Perhaps he understood he was helping him.

"Alicia is a big fun of riding, let her do it. I don't really think I must"

"Come on, we need to pass the time. It'd be fun to see you end up arse on the ground" he chuckles again.

"I'd be glad to give such an important community service. But I train with Troy and the others" he finishes his water and goes join the militia.

"Your brother is funny" one of the funniest people I've met lately. They're hard to come by these days.

"He is. Do you have any?" at least this is an acceptable personal question.

"Nope. Only child" she falls silent and keeps playing with her food.

"It was the right call, you know, staying" she says after a while.

"I've been through a great moral struggle, but I think this is the time to be practical" although living here is getting even harder than before for obvious reasons.

"You know what I believe, Leyla? I believe that we're going to get on well and that we're going to tell each other stuff naturally, just not yet, right?"

"Right" I am not that convinced, but there's no point in discouraging her now. While we're finishing our meal Taqa and Jake come back with all the militia and call our attention and Jake starts speaking in a high volume to reach the whole camp.

"Listen up. We have a small problem. Some of the tubes that drain the water from the wells outside the ranch are broken, they need repairing or replacing. We have already sent Lee and other to collect the pieces but the wells are deep and we need volunteers to go in there and fix them. Troy and I will go, but we need some help. Who will join us?"

Of course, since Alicia raises her hand, she raises my hand as well, I didn't really mean to, that's more of a man work, but fine. Another couple of soldiers from both sides join and we've reached the number. Before getting on our way, Jake calls me behind to have a word with me.