Chapter XI - Part I

It was no joke, they really are organizing a party. Well, party is a big pretentious, but still, something that looks like it. Lee even sets up a stereo with some jazz music in the background. AndJakes stands up on a dais and speaks up.

"Hey everyone. I know this is a big change to adjust to, but getting to know each other better will make things run smoothly. So, don't be shy, get up, have a beer and, for the bold ones, a dance. Enjoy" with little encouragement, people, especially old couples, get up for a shy, slow dance. Jake and Alicia start dancing too and Taqa's men uncork beers. But that's it. No crazy fun. I stand aside, looking around, with my back laid on the fence, I seriously wouldn't know what to do.

"You're not having so much fun, are you" Nick approaches me while blowing out smoke from his cigarette.

"Is anyone?" I ask in boredom, not really wanting an answer. 

"Perhaps we forgot how to have fun" he simply states. For a second I agree with him, fun seems such a shallow thing now. And people forgot it was a part of life before. But in this very case there's another reason.

"Or perhaps it's difficult to have fun for people who hate each other"

"A beer has never killed anyone Leyla"

"Yet" it's a duty to add this. Because the beer's not the problem. People are. And they'd use anything to start a brawl.

"It couldn't go any worse than this. It was worth the shot" he says matter-of-factly.

"You say that, but you don't seem to be having much fun either Nick" he just stands there smoking and distractedly glancing at those few couples dancing. 

"Because this music is crap" it's a lousy excuse, but I won't dig any further, just need to keep things under control until this stupid party is over.

"Do me a favour and keep your eyes wide open" said that, I roam around here to make sure no one creates troubles, and at the last tables there are Troy and his soldiers, who surely won't let me pass along without a word.

"Is it safe for you to walk around in a place that's not yours with that short skirt?" here it comes, one douchebag found. This is the first time I see him, a bald guy with a beard.

"Luke, hold your tongue. You won't reach that skirt if you talk like that" Troy backs him up taking a sip of his coffee. They're just messing with me, I don't have the patience tonight.

"Overage bullies are among us. Thanks for greeting us with your presence but no one requested it" I state hoping they won't add anything else so that I can continue my inspection. 

"Stop being cavemen, join the party instead. And if you cause any trouble, I'll kick your ass" Jake comes by and steps in, he wasn't lying when he said he'd look up for me. A guy true to his word, not very effective, but he tries. They all get up, except Troy

"He was talking to you too" can't resist saying it.

"Why don't you get off my fucking way before I make you. I can use knives too, you know?!" I am always amazed by his ability to threaten without even changing the tone of voice and still be creepy.

"You're their leader, you should set an example instead of being a pain in the arse" I am wasting my breath, I know.

"So, I should fetch a beer, have a toast with Taqa and start to dance Kumbaya by the fire?! Fu*k it" I hate the look of disdain he has, he can't stand us here and does nothing to hide it. I am about to tell him to go fuc* himself, but Madison anticipates me.  

"You should get a beer and ask a pretty lady to dance. Just like any other handsome, young guy would do"  her presence on the other hand is not comforting at all, and she silenced my reply. Troy gazes at her dismissed what she said with a shrug.