NINETEEN: Objections

Blythe's POV

I've been walking back and forth inside my father's office for almost an hour now. Minsan ay sasalampak ako sa couch only to jump right straight up and walk back and forth again. I've been biting the insides of my cheeks too. Bagay na nangyayari lamang kung nagiging anxious ako.

Ano na kayang nangyayari sa labas? Bakit parang ang tagal naman ata nilang kausapin si Auburn? Hindi ba dapat ako ang kinakausap nila kasi duh? I'm their kid, not her.

Paano pala kapag pinagkanulo na ako ng mga magulang ko sa babaeng iyon?  Yung tipong pagsasamahin nila kami sa iisang bubong dahil gusto nila akong parusahan sa mga bagay na ginawa ko in the past. I scanned my brain for any memories that made my parents mad.

Well, for starters, there's this one time when I got a navel piercing and dyed my hair blue. They found out after a friend posted a group photo of us in a resort wearing nothing but bikinis. That was epic but that was also the time I received the punishment of a lifetime.

Another time was when I used their credit card to avail a VIP pass on a cosplay convention just because the girl I was hitting on that time was a cosplayer and I wanted to impress her by attending her every competitions. That was lit! And a waste of money dahil I found out that she have a boyfriend who is also a cosplayer. I never liked anime since then.

The list goes on and on but those are just petty things that made my parents pissed at me. Nadadaan naman sa sorry pero malay ko ba if they keep tabs on the things I do and they finally decided to give me the ultimate punishment.

Oh no.

I'm biting my nails now. Anxiety intensifies. Overthinking at full bar. And all my senses are overwhelmed.

Then I heard ths door opened. I snapped my head to look at my parents who just entered the room and to my surprise, their faces are somewhat untroubled. Now that makes me more anxious what the heck!

"Sit down Blythe," dad ordered. Umupo ako sa couch at tinabihan ako ni mum. Umupo naman sa alpha couch si dad at nagsalin ng tubig sa baso na nandoon. Para sa akin ba iyon?

"Are you okay sweetie? Wala na bang ibang nabubog sayo?" tanong sa akin ni mum.

"Wala na po."

"What were you thinking crashing your car like that?"

"Mum, I did not crash it. It's—nevermind. You wouldn't understand anyway."

"This is why we don't want you to live alone," dad said.  Siya ang umiinom sa sinalin niyang tubig. "Not again."

"What do you mean by that, dad?"

"Anak," my mum started talking. Why does it feel like she's about to drop a major story that I don't know. "Ang daming nangyari sa buhay natin. Mga pangyayari na hinayaan naming...maglaho ng kusa para protektahan ka. And seeing you getting hurt tonight made us worried that the same thing will happen again."

"Pero mum, tonight was just an accident." Kontra ko sa kanila. Wala akong ideya kung anong klaseng pangyayari noon ang tinutukoy nila pero sana naman hindi nila akong gawing bata.

"We know, and all the more na kailangan ka naming protektahan kasi hindi namin alam kung anong klaseng panganib ang susunod na mangyayari. Whether it's an accident or not, Blythe, di mo na matatanggal ang kaba namin." Dad said almost melancholic.

"Look sweetie, pinayagan ka naming umalis noon sa bansa para sa pangarap mo because we are confident that your grandparents will do anything in their power to protect you. And now that you're here, it's our turn to do the protecting." Dagdag ni mum.